mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
How gullible are we? Options
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:14:50 AM

Neurons: 484,353
A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to the alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide." And for plenty of good reasons, since:

1. it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting;
2. it is a major component in acid rain;
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state;
4. accidental inhalation can kill you;
5. it contributes to erosion;
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes;
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients.

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was water.
The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?"

The conclusion is obvious.

Are not we stupid?
SnehaJain
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:41:41 AM

Neurons: 246
Yes. Thanks to the herd mentality. Today people are not only stupid, but also ignorant and afraid of almost anything.
intel
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 8:20:28 AM

Neurons: 12
Yes, most of us do not think rationally. One just has to tell us a couple of bad things about anything and most of us would rise up in arms against it.
grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:25:44 PM

Neurons: 33,836
srirr wrote:
A freshman at Eagle Rock Junior High won first prize at the Greater Idaho Falls Science Fair, April 26. He was attempting to show how conditioned we have become to the alarmists practicing junk science and spreading fear of everything in our environment. In his project he urged people to sign a petition demanding strict control or total elimination of the chemical "dihydrogen monoxide." And for plenty of good reasons, since:

1. it can cause excessive sweating and vomiting;
2. it is a major component in acid rain;
3. it can cause severe burns in its gaseous state;
4. accidental inhalation can kill you;
5. it contributes to erosion;
6. it decreases effectiveness of automobile brakes;
7. it has been found in tumors of terminal cancer patients.

He asked 50 people if they supported a ban of the chemical. Forty-three said yes, six were undecided, and only one knew that the chemical was water.
The title of his prize winning project was, "How Gullible Are We?"

The conclusion is obvious.

Are not we stupid?

Srirr, I hate to say it, but this, too, has come up before. It was a sidetrack within another topic, and as such, did not have quite the same emphasis or focus that you are putting forth in this thread. However, it can be found here, beginning with JPK's post on 11/17/09, if you want to read it.

Edit edit(?): Immediately after I posted what I originally wrote here, I realized that I was already in K&C and not S&T. That prompted me to go ahead and do my own forum search, and I found the original thread. I see that JJ found it, too, but he got the link posted as I was revising my post to include the link. (I didn't think anyone had even seen the first post yet!) Well, anyway, now it's up here twice. I should have known JJ would be quick on the draw!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 12:30:59 PM

Neurons: 675,964
grammargeek wrote:

Srirr, I hate to say it, but this, too, has come up before. I just don't remember where right now, but I do know that it was a long time ago. I'm guessing that it was within the first few months of these forums. We different have a separate S&T back then, so it was likely posted in the K&C section--just in case you want to look for it.

Leaves on lawn
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:22:53 PM

Thanks GG and JJ. I had made a search with the keyword "gullible" before starting the thread, for I thought it to be somewhat less used and more apt. I could not however find that old thread. Thanks anyway. :)
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:28:47 PM

grammargeek wrote:
I should have known JJ would be quick on the draw!

Lucky Luke is quicker than his shadow ;-)

grammargeek
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 1:50:03 PM

Neurons: 33,836
JJ wrote:
GG wrote:

And I bet his shadow just stood there as LL whipped out his guns saying, "Stop or I'll shoot." Shadows can be so gullible. "Right JJ?" said GG.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:06:58 PM

Neurons: 104,595
This one is normally introduced as the dangers of dihydrogen monoxide.

It is not so much that people are gullible is that they are confused and scared by science, and even people who studied high school chemistry can't work out that it is H2O.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 2:16:28 PM

Neurons: 7,777
thar wrote:

It is not so much that people are gullible is that they are confused and scared by science, and even people who studied high school chemistry can't work out that it is H2O.

Yes I agree with thar. This has little to do with people being 'gullible'. People unfamiliar with chemical nomenclature are prone to making this mistake. This is just an overhyped 'hoax', which is all over the net.
tusk
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 4:50:05 PM

Neurons: 522
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
grammargeek wrote:

So putting 2 and 2 together, does that mean GG is JJ's shadow?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 5:13:49 PM

No, we're just quicker than hell, both of us.
piratekatja
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 9:54:46 PM

Neurons: 207
Got me there Bud, I was one of those in school who didn't particularly like chemistry - it was never my intention to blow anything up nor to create a new susbstance... thanks for this.
srirr
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:58:59 PM

kisholoy mukherjee wrote:
thar wrote:

Yes I agree with thar. This has little to do with people being 'gullible'. People unfamiliar with chemical nomenclature are prone to making this mistake. This is just an overhyped 'hoax', which is all over the net.

Its not about complexity of chemistry and its nomenclature. Its about human nature and its acceptance of the things presented to it. People do not reason themselves. To be honest, I could also not guess it was water, when I read the first time. But if this survey was done on me, I could have thought for a while. I could have tried to figure out what it is asking, whether the statements have some value and truthfulness.
Luftmarque
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 2:06:22 AM

Neurons: 39,962
kisholoy mukherjee wrote:

And I agree with both of you. He who has the power of formulating the question has great power over the responses, and examples such as this one have nothing to do with gullibility or stupidity, rather have to do with people's wanting to believe in (other) people's gullibility/stupidity.
Wanderer
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:22:45 PM

Neurons: 78,988
I still have to wonder why we are so easily taken in? The question was set up to play upon our fears. "The Dangers" Oh my! Yes! Tell me so that I may avoid it because I know there are many dangerous things in the world. Then the mind goes blank over Dihydrogen Monoxide. Then we are sucked in. It is purposely phrased to deceive and it points up how sooooo much of what passes for information is just - dare I say it - fear mongering. The more information I have the easier it is getting to be deceived or even to deceive myself when I am only Googling for the things that support my case. It is better to have a forum of people comprising those who agree and disagree (in varying degrees, of course) to look into things. Thank you once again.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 12:34:46 PM

Nearly all the Finns just love to eat salmiakki candies which contain large amount of ammonium chloride.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 6:25:07 PM

Happened to find also the "official" DHMO.org research site ;-)
Tovarish
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 9:42:06 PM

Neurons: 39,933
I have a golfing story for you.

A little sandwich bag of dark brown pellets, around the size of your thumb nail, were being given out freely at the local Club House.

Described as 'Memory Pills'.

At the 19 hole many golfers have a memory problem, so they were accepted with enthusiasm.

After much spitting and coughing, they were identified as Kangaroo Droppings, collected from all around the course.

"I told you, once you had tasted them you would never forget them", and they worked didn't they????"

So even the out of town visiter know what "Memory Pills" are now.

You have to make your own entertainment in the bush, ha ha