mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Word-related Riddles Options
NickN
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 6:31:51 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 78
Neurons: 275
Anyone have any good ones?

Here's one to start: What dries as it gets wet? (My apologies if everyone already knows this one.)
pantea
Posted: Thursday, March 19, 2009 10:59:16 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 3/19/2009
Posts: 1
Neurons: 1,686
Location: Tehrān, Tehran, Iran
emm a paper towel?Think
bewusstlos
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 12:30:57 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 3/18/2009
Posts: 20
Location: India
My childhood favourite:

"What's black and white and red all over?"
Ans: Newspaper. It's black and white and read all over.
Lawrence
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 4:46:19 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/18/2009
Posts: 66
Neurons: 198
Location: United Kingdom
What has hands but no arms and a face but no eyes?
bewusstlos
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 7:38:04 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 3/18/2009
Posts: 20
Location: India
Lawrence wrote:
What has hands but no arms and a face but no eyes?

A clock?
Lawrence
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 8:13:43 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/18/2009
Posts: 66
Neurons: 198
Location: United Kingdom
Yup!
catskincatskin
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 8:49:47 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/19/2009
Posts: 87
Neurons: 261
Location: United States
I enjoy these riddles from The Hobbit:

1. A box without hinges, key or lid,
Yet golden treasure inside is hid.

2. It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,
it lies behind stars and under hills,
and empty holes it fills,
it comes first and follows after,
ends life, kills laughter.
NickN
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 4:20:56 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 78
Neurons: 275
Quote:
emm a paper towel?


Correct! (I also would have accepted "towel.")

I'm still working out those ones from The Hobbit...
Drew
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 5:17:33 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/17/2009
Posts: 1,503
Neurons: 4,487
Location: United States
catskincatskin wrote:


It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,
it lies behind stars and under hills,
and empty holes it fills,
it comes first and follows after,
ends life, kills laughter.


Time?
catskincatskin
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 5:32:02 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/19/2009
Posts: 87
Neurons: 261
Location: United States
"Time" is a good answer, I think. The official answer is "darkness," and the answer to the first riddle is (stop reading now if you don't want to know) "an egg."
Citiwoman
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 11:16:24 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 31
Neurons: 93
Location: United States
What words in the English language change their pronunciation just by capitalizing the first letter?
-reading (Reading, city in PA)
-polish (Polish)
krmiller
Posted: Friday, March 20, 2009 11:29:05 PM
Rank: Administration

Joined: 3/17/2009
Posts: 217
Neurons: 663
Location: United States
Oh, I love riddles!

The beginning of eternity, the end of time and space, the beginning of every end, and the end of every place. What am I?

Another from The Hobbit (unless it's from LotR...):
What has roots that no one sees, is taller than trees, up it goes, and yet never grows?
zigzag
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:42:09 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 3/18/2009
Posts: 18
Location: libya
krmiller wrote:
Oh, I love riddles!

The beginning of eternity, the end of time and space, the beginning of every end, and the end of every place. What am I?


Well, that would be the letter (e).
Demosth
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 5:20:06 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/15/2009
Posts: 67
Neurons: 190
Location: United States
I've never been any good at riddles; but life is usually enough of a puzzle to keep my head spinning. Brick wall
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:51:58 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/18/2009
Posts: 2,036
Neurons: 6,040
Location: United States
Here's a word riddle I always liked. Name the ten parts of the body (excluding the slang for which one you use to sit) that have three letters - no more, no less.
bewusstlos
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 10:49:59 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 3/18/2009
Posts: 20
Location: India
krmiller wrote:
What has roots that no one sees, is taller than trees, up it goes, and yet never grows?

Give up. What's it?
catskincatskin
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:26:38 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/19/2009
Posts: 87
Neurons: 261
Location: United States
Joseph Glantz wrote:
Here's a word riddle I always liked. Name the ten parts of the body (excluding the slang for which one you use to sit) that have three letters - no more, no less.


Toe, toe, eye, toe, toe, toe, toe, ear, toe, and toe?
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 12:51:25 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/18/2009
Posts: 2,036
Neurons: 6,040
Location: United States
The ten three-letter body parts are distinct.

So toe, ear and eye count for three. Seven to go.
catskincatskin
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:05:15 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/19/2009
Posts: 87
Neurons: 261
Location: United States
Oh, since there are ten different toes, I thought each would count as one. Rats.

lip, arm, and leg would be three more.

Would "knee" count, as it only has three letters (k, n, and e)? If so, "foot," would be no. 8.

Edit: And "teeth" (t, e, and h) would be no. 9
kaliedel
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 2:54:19 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 340
Neurons: 1,029
Location: United States
catskincatskin wrote:
I enjoy these riddles from The Hobbit:

1. A box without hinges, key or lid,
Yet golden treasure inside is hid.

2. It cannot be seen, cannot be felt,
cannot be heard, cannot be smelt,
it lies behind stars and under hills,
and empty holes it fills,
it comes first and follows after,
ends life, kills laughter.


When it comes to riddles, I can't think of a better provider than Tolkien...or that classic scene in The Hobbit.
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 3:15:40 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/18/2009
Posts: 2,036
Neurons: 6,040
Location: United States
Body parts question - three letters total so knee and teeth don't count

Lip, arm, leg, toe, ear, eye. That's six. Four left - two above the neck and two below
nick
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:16:42 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/6/2009
Posts: 38
Neurons: 98
jaw -- three to go
Marie
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 4:56:55 PM
Rank: Newbie

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 2
Neurons: 6
Location: United States
rib, gut
catskincatskin
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 6:40:26 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/19/2009
Posts: 87
Neurons: 261
Location: United States
hip!

Wow, that one drove me crazy and I was way, way off.
Joseph Glantz
Posted: Saturday, March 21, 2009 7:10:27 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/18/2009
Posts: 2,036
Neurons: 6,040
Location: United States
Well, I never thought of gut - my 10th was pretty close - gum
Devin
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:10:18 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/28/2009
Posts: 57
Neurons: 164
Location: Canada
Here's one for you guy's try and find it out.


If you like pretty gems that sparkle and shine,
I invite you to dig in my virtual mine.
My first is purple, fit for a king,
My second is green where Dorothy did her thing.
My third is red, July's birthstone as well,
My fourth is seen in strings and is found inside a shell.
My fifth is hard, pure Carbon and expensive to buy,
My sixth is Crocodolite, striped like the big cat's eye.
Seventh is two words, a man-made fake of April's stone,
Eighth is very dark and found at Lightning Ridge alone.
Now take from each gem, one letter in its turn,
And you will find the stuff for which even the god's yearn.
Devin
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:12:49 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/28/2009
Posts: 57
Neurons: 164
Location: Canada
Here's another one.

I am the center of gravity, hold a capital situation in Vienna, and as I am foremost in every victory, am allowed by all to be invaluable. Though I am invisible, I am clearly seen in the midst of a river. I could name three who are in love with me and have three associates in vice. It is vain that you seek me for I have long been in heaven yet even now lie embalmed in the grave. What am I?
Devin
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:13:39 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/28/2009
Posts: 57
Neurons: 164
Location: Canada
Here's one.

There is a common English word that is nine letters long. Each time you remove a letter from it, it still remains an English word - from nine letters right down to a single letter. What is the original word, and what are the words that it becomes after removing one letter at a time?


Devin
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:14:43 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/28/2009
Posts: 57
Neurons: 164
Location: Canada
1 1 was a racehorse
2 2 was one to
if 1 1 won one race
2 2 won one to
risadr
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2009 11:23:12 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 1,155
Neurons: 3,545
Location: PA, United States
Devin wrote:
Here's one for you guy's try and find it out.


If you like pretty gems that sparkle and shine,
I invite you to dig in my virtual mine.
My first is purple, fit for a king,
My second is green where Dorothy did her thing.
My third is red, July's birthstone as well,
My fourth is seen in strings and is found inside a shell.
My fifth is hard, pure Carbon and expensive to buy,
My sixth is Crocodolite, striped like the big cat's eye.
Seventh is two words, a man-made fake of April's stone,
Eighth is very dark and found at Lightning Ridge alone.
Now take from each gem, one letter in its turn,
And you will find the stuff for which even the god's yearn.


Giving this a shot:

First: Amethyst
Second: Emerald.
Third: Ruby
Fourth: Pearl
Fifth: Diamond
Sixth: Tiger's Eye
Seventh: Cubic Zirconia
Eighth (Google helped): Black Opal

Final Answer: AMBROSIA
geanne_princess
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2009 7:57:12 AM
Rank: Member

Joined: 4/23/2009
Posts: 10
Neurons: 30
Location: Philippines
Devin wrote:
Here's another one.

I am the center of gravity, hold a capital situation in Vienna, and as I am foremost in every victory, am allowed by all to be invaluable. Though I am invisible, I am clearly seen in the midst of a river. I could name three who are in love with me and have three associates in vice. It is vain that you seek me for I have long been in heaven yet even now lie embalmed in the grave. What am I?


letter V ;)
Devin
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 10:37:41 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/28/2009
Posts: 57
Neurons: 164
Location: Canada
they are both right but what about the third one?
risadr
Posted: Thursday, April 30, 2009 7:58:56 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/16/2009
Posts: 1,155
Neurons: 3,545
Location: PA, United States
Alright, Devin. I'm stumped.
Devin
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 10:42:45 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/28/2009
Posts: 57
Neurons: 164
Location: Canada
Here is the answer for the third riddle.

The base word is Startling - starting - staring - string - sting - sing - sin - in - I
Devin
Posted: Friday, May 1, 2009 10:44:45 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 4/28/2009
Posts: 57
Neurons: 164
Location: Canada
Here's a new one.

The word 'FACETIOUSLY' contains the six vowels, A-E-I-O-U and Y, in their alphabetical order. Can you find another English word that does the same?
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.