mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The Brain that Changes Itself Options
Netts
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 10:13:24 PM

Neurons: 688
Has anyone read this book? I'm 3/4 way through it and am finding it fascinating.
psychegirl
Posted: Thursday, August 26, 2010 11:35:50 PM

Neurons: 6
I haven't read the book, but the concept has been making the rounds over the past couple of years. Our PBS station, ( Channel 12), did a special broadcast about it a while back.
I think its a very exciting discovery. Who knows where it will lead.
http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp?S=12992921
Netts
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 12:51:37 AM

Thanks for the link, psychegirl. The research is turning long-held beliefs about the brain upside-down. One amazing chapter was about a girl who was born with only half a brain. It wasn't that it had been damaged through stroke for example, it had never developed. She had problems with abstract concepts and some limitations with the right side of her body, very sensitive hearing amongst other things. She also had amazing abilities in other areas, e.g. she could tell you what day of the week any date fell on - but only from the time she was born - anything before that needed a 'quick' calculation.

I googled 'Dr Michael Merzenich' whose research was mentioned during the first half of the book and ended up on lumosity.com and have been doing the 'brain training' exercises and I 'think' I'm a bit sharper in some areas. I would love to have my brain mapped to show me exactly where I'm lacking!

I think we're going to hear a lot more about his findings in years to come.
Christine
Posted: Friday, August 27, 2010 9:00:19 AM

Neurons: 15,842
The Emotional Brain: The Mysterious Underpinnings of Emotional Life is interesting too!
Netts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:09:29 AM

Thanks, Christine. I'll have a look.
lyra
Posted: Tuesday, August 31, 2010 7:02:08 PM

Neurons: 329
Wow, thanks for mentioning this book Netts! I'm going to check it out. It sounds really fascinating!
Netts
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:55:50 AM

I first heard about the book and the term neuroplasticity on a documentary about petrol sniffing within our Indigenous population. It was always thought that once the brain cells were killed, that was it. However, depending on the amount of sniffing and the length of time, it is possible for the brain to repair itself.

There's a great chapter of phantom limb pain. One fellow who had lost an arm had a terrible itch on his hand (that wasn't there.) Turns out the area of the brain closest to the area that controlled his arm was his face and he was eventually able to work out where to scratch his face to relieve the itch on his hand - that wasn't there!

I'd better stop - I'll let you read the book for yourself!!!
frasha4ever
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 10:13:18 AM

Neurons: 208
Netts wrote:
Thanks for the link, psychegirl. The research is turning long-held beliefs about the brain upside-down. One amazing chapter was about a girl who was born with only half a brain. It wasn't that it had been damaged through stroke for example, it had never developed. She had problems with abstract concepts and some limitations with the right side of her body, very sensitive hearing amongst other things. She also had amazing abilities in other areas, e.g. she could tell you what day of the week any date fell on - but only from the time she was born - anything before that needed a 'quick' calculation.

I googled 'Dr Michael Merzenich' whose research was mentioned during the first half of the book and ended up on lumosity.com and have been doing the 'brain training' exercises and I 'think' I'm a bit sharper in some areas. I would love to have my brain mapped to show me exactly where I'm lacking!

about the lumosity website, it did help me find out my weak areas but continuing to play the exercises specific for those areas dint really help me improve :( neither did i know what else to do to help me develop those areas..

i wonder if theres a book that can help me develop certain weak areas of my brain?
Netts
Posted: Thursday, September 2, 2010 6:15:06 AM

frasha4ever wrote:
about the lumosity website, it did help me find out my weak areas but continuing to play the exercises specific for those areas dint really help me improve :( neither did i know what else to do to help me develop those areas..

i wonder if theres a book that can help me develop certain weak areas of my brain?
[/quote]

frasha4ever, how long did you do the exercises for?
MaheshPS
Posted: Tuesday, September 7, 2010 3:08:26 AM

Neurons: 3
The better way of exercise for the brain is the meditation.
- If this can be practised well, we can control emotions and improve the concentration.