mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Comma problems. Options
pljames
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 9:20:20 AM

Neurons: 15,207
Can the comma not be used if the next word is but?
CovenantWord
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 4:04:00 PM

Neurons: 5,755
There may be some who think so, but a well-informed grammarian would disagree.
Rey LUIGI (de las Americas)
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 6:04:02 PM

Neurons: 1,499
CovenantWord wrote:
There may be some who think so, but a well-informed grammarian would disagree.

I, Louie Garcia,...
believe that in the beginning there had to be a "(single) thought", even before the word?! :-)
pljames
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 7:41:07 PM

Neurons: 15,207
Thanks Louie,
I also wondered if () was right to use like I use them to make a (point) with a word.
CovenantWord
Posted: Sunday, July 26, 2015 11:20:56 PM

Neurons: 5,755
Louie GARCIA wrote:

I, Louie Garcia,...
believe that in the beginning there had to be a "(single) thought", even before the word?! :-)

Welcome to the forum.

You are apparently responding to my tag line. (TFD calls it a "signature", I believe.) It is true, of course, that one customarily conceives of communication as a thought preceding a word, giving it shape, purpose, and direction. However, I would like to suggest that this paradigm, though useful for many kinds of analysis, is not comprehensive. There are other motives for crafting words, such as a desire to be sociable or to express emotion. Further, words have a remarkable power not only to convey thoughts, emotions, sociability, etc.; but also to generate and guide them. One writes, he speaks, he debates, he chats, in important measure to cause himself to think, to feel, to socialize, more clearly, more fully, more deeply. How this comes to be defies detailed analysis, because it partakes of the marvelous quality of miracle.

You will notice that "Word" in my tag line is capitalized, referring to the Divinity. This quote is actually the first clause of the Gospel according to John, introducing Jesus the Christ, the Second Person of the Trinity. John applies the label, "Word", to God (among other reasons) to express His Self-revelatory and creative power and purpose. A word (of man) reflects part of the character of the Word (of God), because God created man in His image.

Cov