mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Barbecue Options
Bellator
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:02:51 PM

Neurons: 12
A recent article in the Globe and Mail (a Toronto newspaper) had in its headline: Barbeque. A reader commented that barbecue does not contain the letter q and because this misspelling is one of my pet peeves, I commented as well on this barbarism. It is derived, of course, from the American BBQ. As such it is still acceptable, I guess, but the word is barbecue, not barbeque (pronounced "barbeck?)
Here is the point: the other reader and myself received an overwhelming number of thumbs down, proving that the majority of this newspaper's readers - who ought to be above average in intelligence - are convinced that the newspaper had correctly spelled "barbeque".
I have a lot of other pet peeves, but I will save them for another day (how about the pronunciation of "kilometre"?)
grammargeek
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:18:38 PM

Neurons: 33,836
Welcome to the forum, Bellator.

I'll have to agree with you on this one. In fact, I just double-checked the spelling on the bottle of "BBQ" sauce in my refrigerator, and it clearly says "Barbecue Sauce."
uuaschbaer
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 1:47:40 PM

Neurons: 6,180
Bellator wrote:
Here is the point: the other reader and myself received an overwhelming number of thumbs down, proving that the majority of this newspaper's readers - who ought to be above average in intelligence - are convinced that the newspaper had correctly spelled "barbeque".

That proves no such thing. Those thumbing you down may very well just not appreciate that you made a point of the spelling. Besides, if you go around likening such mistakes to barbarism, unjustifiably judging another's intelligence by them and complaining about them even after someone else also pointed them out, you're bound to find that people are irritated by your snootiness.

Edit: not to say that you're not quite right about "barbecue". It's just not very important.
Wanderer
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 5:34:45 PM

Neurons: 78,988
BarBQue - That's the way I always want to spell it. Is that just totally wrong?
blue2
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 4:56:04 AM

Neurons: 23,044
Welcome Bellator.
Barbecue may be the correct spelling, but it would seem that "barbeque" has slipped into usage.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/barbeque
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barbecue
In your support Bellator, Oxford and Cambridge only have "barbecue".
One of my pet peeves is "less" instead of "fewer", see the thread, but my grammar book says "less people" has come to be accepted. What can you do?
Bellator
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:12:19 AM

Thanks, blue2. My other pet peeve is "has slipped into usage". I realize this is so,but must we accept it and further encourage its use by joining the crowd? And I share your feeling about "less": for me it is like nails on a blackboard, just like "kilómetre" to rhyme with thermometer. I ask these people if they also say "centÍmetre", but I just get a blank stare. Sorry, I am too old to change my habits and I will just remain a curmudgeon, sticking to what I believe is right.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 5:36:01 AM

Neurons: 675,964
Metre is clearly British English for meter. The same with theatre and theater.
Both versions are correct.
Cat
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 10:43:35 AM

Neurons: 194,017
Sadly, I'm guilty of this. Hopefully, never again.Pray
Bellator
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 11:23:57 AM

Thank you, cat. I have been maligned a lot!
(guilty of kilómetre or barbeque?) It just occurs to me, do people say "burlecue" when they see "burlesque"?
Cat
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 12:01:45 PM

Neurons: 194,017
Bellator, being in France you're going to "cast up your accounts" at how I used to pronounce "quay". Apparently, it's pronounced "key", not "kway". Help!

I pronounce "kilometer" both ways depending on how it sounds within the sentence. Same with envelope.
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 1:30:19 PM

Neurons: 32,652
Barbie-Queue - Line-up at a lypo clinic.

Irrelevant, but it popped into my head. Dancing
grammargeek
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 1:37:17 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
Metre is clearly British English for meter. The same with theatre and theater.
Both versions are correct.

I think it is the pronunciation, rather than the spelling, that Bellator is referring to when it comes to the word "kilometre/kilometer." I, too, have been guilty of pronouncing kilometer in a way that rhymes with thermometer (accent on the second syllable). I've heard it said that way more often than I've heard it with the first and third syllables accented, though I have heard it that way, too.

Like Cat, I'm going to do my best to correct this error of my ways, now that it has been brought to my attention. As Bellator said, it should be simple to remember that the stressed syllables are placed no differently than for centimeter. For that matter, basically any other units of metric measurement I can think of, e.g., millimeter and kilogram, work the same way, so why should kilometer be any different? Thanks, Bellator.

As an afterthought, I do have a different question about the pronunciation of the word "centimeter." Sometimes I hear the "cent" part of the word pronounced more like "saunt." That is not the most common way that I hear people say it, but when I do hear it, it is usually from someone who works in the sciences/medicine. "That woman in labor is dilated to nine 'sauntimeters.'" What's up with that?

By the way, if you're already dilated to 9 cm, it's probably not the best time to be preparing a barbecue.
excaelis
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:00:46 PM

Neurons: 32,652
...or worrying about pronunciation! " That's epidural, Nurse Plotkin ! Good grief !" Whistle

The saunt pronunciation is French, and should precede imetre ( short e ). Sounds kind of pretentious to me.
libralovely
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:30:27 PM

Neurons: 15
Bellator wrote:
A recent article in the Globe and Mail (a Toronto newspaper) had in its headline: Barbeque. A reader commented that barbecue does not contain the letter q and because this misspelling is one of my pet peeves, I commented as well on this barbarism. It is derived, of course, from the American BBQ. As such it is still acceptable, I guess, but the word is barbecue, not barbeque (pronounced "barbeck?)
I have a lot of other pet peeves, but I will save them for another day (how about the pronunciation of "kilometre"?)

Hello, Bellator, I am a newbie as well. I have always had the toolbar and news feeds from dictionary.com but, never joined as a member.Lately the conversations have been very interesting and enlightening so i decided to join to be a part of the great conversation. As far as "BBQ" and Barbecue, i never really paid any attention to this until today and now that I think about it is is misspelled and How have we gotten away with doing this fro so long???
Good point for pointing this one out!!!Applause
worldsclyde
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:45:41 PM

Neurons: 2,390
How many here went to the fridge and looked at the label on your sauce? I did.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 2:58:02 PM

worldsclyde wrote:

I did too. It says: Kartanon Parempi Grillikastike. Whistle
grammargeek
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 3:43:47 PM

Welcome to the forum, libralovely. I just have to ask you a question.

libralovely wrote:
Hello, Bellator, I am a newbie as well. I have always had the toolbar and news feeds from dictionary.com but, never joined as a member.Lately the conversations have been very interesting and enlightening so i decided to join to be a part of the great conversation.

Did you mean to write The Free Dictionary? Or did you switch from Dictionary.com to TFD? Think
blue2
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:49:16 PM

libralovely wrote:

Hello, Bellator, I am a newbie as well. I have always had the toolbar and news feeds from dictionary.com but, never joined as a member.Lately the conversations have been very interesting and enlightening so i decided to join to be a part of the great conversation. As far as "BBQ" and Barbecue, i never really paid any attention to this until today and now that I think about it is is misspelled and How have we gotten away with doing this fro so long???
Good point for pointing this one out!!!Applause

Welcome libralovely. I haven't been here so long myself.

How have we got away with this? I wonder if it phonetic. The cu sounds like a q
so it seems more natural to spell it that way. Think of the word queue. On the other hand, there is the word cue. But look at number 1 and 3 here: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/cue
blue2
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:50:25 PM

Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
worldsclyde wrote:

I did too. It says: Kartanon Parempi Grillikastike. Whistle

Fridge is too far. Google is closer.
memphis jailer
Posted: Sunday, August 22, 2010 7:41:20 PM

Neurons: 1,311
being from memphis we have a barbeque festival every may .... i think it acceptable either way you spell it ... furthermore you pronounce it the same way .... when you say query or quail does it not make a hard c or k sound?
Tovarish
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 2:55:11 AM

Neurons: 39,933
Its just a plain old barbie down here. Only get the 'que' if someone wants to be awfully, awfully!

Then they wouldnt be having a barbie in the first place, ha ha
Ellenrita
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:45:22 PM

Neurons: 3,889
Bar B Q

The Globe and Mail is the nearest newspaper to the New York Times here. But I do find errors in most papers and I can hardly spell any how. I will give kilometre a try : Kill la meet/er.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:51:21 PM

Ellenrita wrote:
I will give kilometre a try : Kill la meet/er.

It's more like kill omitter ;-)
Bellator
Posted: Wednesday, September 1, 2010 12:57:46 PM

Hello ellenrita,
I am an expatriate Torontonian, living in France now. I must have written to the Mop and Pail at least 50 times to scold them for their spelling and grammatical errors. Alas, computers have taken over from literate, human underpaid proofreaders. I understand it is pretty warm in Toronto at the moment?