mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
external hd Options
lexx
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 12:15:41 PM

Neurons: 138
hello,

i am planning to buy another external hd.
i already have a western digital, white in a non-metallic case. it looks fragile to me.
i only use it like once a month to update whats in it. i am really careful with it.
i plan to buy another one just in case..

can you suggest the best brand (if that ever exist..).

i've always heard and read about the good quality of western digital. but recently i found another brand called iomega?
i want to buy one that will last beyond the typical 3 to 5 years lifespan. do they exist in the market today? or am i just dreaming too high?

also, is 1T practical? i know thats a lot of space.

merci beaucoup for your suggestions!Anxious

ps. also, which is better, one with fan or one without? i notice some hd are much thicker.
DJFrench
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 4:09:54 PM

Neurons: 3
I have 3 Western Digital External and 1 Seagate. I don't see much difference i how they work or the reliability of them. They are both great. In my experience, if I get away from either of these brands, I have alot more trouble than it is worth.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 5:35:48 PM

Neurons: 588,577
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 5:39:41 PM

Neurons: 7,777
I have a Transcend Hard Disk of 250 GB capacity but it works ever so slowly. I can't understand how it works at such a slow data transfer speed when all other serial port communications like with pen drives work much faster.
Anyway, I don't know about the brand Western Digital but from a basic search, it seems it is a very good company, a leader in external HDs in fact. So their products should be good.
As for a HD with or without a fan - I think it has to be a trade off between stability and consumption and hence durability. So with fan - better cooling and no fan means more heating but possibly increased durability.
Is the fan present as an auxiliary device? If so, then perhaps it can be taken care of in case of malfunction (also a matter of availability of compatible spares). If not, then I think it is better to go with an HD with no fan.
thrustae
Posted: Monday, August 16, 2010 7:37:54 PM

Neurons: 51
I've been working with computers for a long time and in my experiences Seagate tends to be somewhat more reliable than Western Digital or Hitachi.
A terabyte of storage is fine, if that's what you need. If you don't need that much, you might want to spend a bit less.
A case with a fan is a good idea, IMO, to reduce the risk of overheating.
To ensure a reasonable level of speed, get a drive that is at least 7200 RPM.
srirr
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:50:34 AM

Neurons: 484,288
I also prefer Seagate. I have been using Seagate external HD for a while and it has given no problem at all.
For the fragility, I haven't checked it by hitting it with a hammer.

I have no idea of fan/without fan HDs. I will have to check mine. :) But I think what KM is saiyng is valid. Still we are talking about external HD. Does it require that much cooling? It is outside CPU and is already away from any heat.
Atiya
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 12:59:24 AM

Neurons: 6,093
I have been using two HDs of Seagate. One is 500GB and another is 250GB.Never faced a problem with any of them. The 500GB requires to be plugged in to an electric source to access but there is no fan inside it.

kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Tuesday, August 17, 2010 4:34:08 AM

Neurons: 7,777
Yes I agree with srirr. I was also wondering why an external HD would require a fan. Sounds superfluous to me.
lexx
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:11:35 PM

Neurons: 138

is it ok to carry your portable hard drive all the time in your backpack?
i mean, is it safe for the HD?

Think
bturpin
Posted: Saturday, August 21, 2010 7:43:09 PM

Neurons: 1,119
yeah it should be fine...I've carried mine around in a backpack before and it still works. As long as youre not throwing the stuff around or slamming it on any tables. Also 1TB IS alot of space, they are now coming into a price range thats really affordable. With more and more people solely switching to didgital media I would go ahead and go with that instead of spending 50 or so less for a smaller disk when in the next year or so you would just have to upgrade anyways.