mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Artificial Intelligence Options
Daemon
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 100,695
Artificial Intelligence

Artificial Intelligence (AI), the use of computers to model the behavioral aspects of human reasoning and learning, has captured global interest for years. Cybernetics, one area of AI study, is the analysis of the communication and control processes of biological organisms and their relationship to mechanical and electrical systems; advances in this area could lead to “thinking” robots. In science fiction, AI is often portrayed attempting to overthrow human authority. What is "the Singularity"? More...
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 2:03:54 AM

Neurons: 2,242,522
AI is a myth, I am afraid,an unattainable goal, like perpetual motion machines. Being pre-programmed devices, computers, robots etc. will always remain automata. They can never develop independent thinking, self-consciousness or anything similar. I see them rather as extensions of our intelligence, our brains to help us solve complicated tasks - like cars, locomotives, tractors or planes help us in respect of physical strength or transportation. Calculator is a good example - it can multiply, divide, etc multi-digit figures much better than we (at least I myself) can, but we never expect a calculator to independently solve any problem or to give us any piece of advice as to how better to calculate somethin. Basically, we still do not know, what our own consciousness and intelligence really are and we consequently cannot implant these faculties into a computer or any computerized device.
pedro
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:21:38 AM

Neurons: 63,022
We've had consciousness topics here before. Generally speaking they have consumed pages of threads trying to establish a working definition. If we don't understand what it is then I don't see how we can deny it in our creations. The next generation of AI machines will use Quantum technology which nobody fully understands. I am not sure if there is, even in principle, a way of determining whether someone other than oneself is conscious. The Turing test doesn't prove very much. You can bamboozle plenty of human beings as much as you can a computer. My worry about cybernetics is that future creators may not program Asimov's three laws of robotics into their machines. An army of malevolent robots doesn't bear thinking about.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 7:20:35 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
I'm scared to speculate too much here, on the interweb. This is their territory right? Anxious
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:04:01 PM

Neurons: 2,242,522
It is immoral and I hope nobody will do this, but in my opinion, it would be more feasible to clone or bioengineer primates (apes or even humans) in order to produce robot-like creatures with pre-planned intellectual and/or other features and capabilities. It is more possible, although I hope nobody will ever resort to this.
rogermue
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:16:19 PM

Neurons: 34,900
What are the famous SF-novels about artificial intelligence?
Gary98
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 3:56:08 PM

Neurons: 5,949,238
With the progress of computer science and technology I believe AI will one day enable machine to "think and do" much like humans do. On the other hand there are such stupidity with some living human being many of the robot out there currently is superior to them in thinking or doing things already.
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:38:55 PM

Neurons: 156,985
Gary98 wrote:
With the progress of computer science and technology I believe AI will one day enable machine to "think and do" much like humans do. On the other hand there are such stupidity with some living human being many of the robot out there currently is superior to them in thinking or doing things already.

impossible - artificial intelligence can be programmed to do good or to do evil... depends on who makes it...
Milica Boghunovich
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 4:56:24 PM

Neurons: 156,985
ChristopherJohnson wrote:
AI is a myth, I am afraid,an unattainable goal, like perpetual motion machines. Being pre-programmed devices, computers, robots etc. will always remain automata. They can never develop independent thinking, self-consciousness or anything similar. I see them rather as extensions of our intelligence, our brains to help us solve complicated tasks - like cars, locomotives, tractors or planes help us in respect of physical strength or transportation. Calculator is a good example - it can multiply, divide, etc multi-digit figures much better than we (at least I myself) can, but we never expect a calculator to independently solve any problem or to give us any piece of advice as to how better to calculate somethin. Basically, we still do not know, what our own consciousness and intelligence really are and we consequently cannot implant these faculties into a computer or any computerized device.

Human intelligence is too often capable of evil. Unfortunately, that is what artificial intelligence can be programmed into...
monamagda
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 5:54:14 PM

Neurons: 7,700,132

[image not available]

Ray Kurzweil is associated with the third and most popular interpretation of the Technological Singularity, often referred to as the accelerating change thesis. In his book The Singularity Is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology Kurzweil defined the Technological Singularity as:

"... a future period during which the pace of technological change will be so rapid, its impact so deep, that human life will be irreversibly transformed. Although neither utopian nor dystopian, this epoch will transform the concepts that we rely on to give meaning to our lifes, from our business models to the cycle of human life, including death itself."

http://www.singularitysymposium.com/definition-of-singularity.html
Newagenda
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 6:28:13 PM

Neurons: 1,957
If we can put some feelings in machin, we could have the machine that capable of thinking and may very well become an AI.
NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Friday, July 24, 2015 7:42:34 AM

Neurons: 2,599,403
rogermue wrote:
What are the famous SF-novels about artificial intelligence?

There's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Philip K Dick, arguably the greatest sci-fi writer ever. It was made into a movie, Blade Runner in the 80s.