mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
I do not say a proverb is amiss when aptly and reasonably applied, but to be forever discharging them, right or wrong, hit or... Options
Daemon
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 95,622
I do not say a proverb is amiss when aptly and reasonably applied, but to be forever discharging them, right or wrong, hit or miss, renders conversation insipid and vulgar.

Miguel de Cervantes (1547-1616)
Bully_rus
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 4:03:31 AM

Neurons: 325,416
I do not say that an anecdote is worse than a proverb, but... Isn't it?
pedro
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 4:37:25 AM

Neurons: 63,022
Daemon wrote:
I do not say a proverb is amiss when aptly and reasonably applied, but to be forever discharging them, right or wrong, hit or miss, renders conversation insipid and vulgar.

Is this a proverb? If so, is it aptly and reasonably applied? I suppose we will have to wait for some more replies to judge.
JUSTIN Excellence
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 4:57:13 AM

Neurons: 2,787
Surely the old tested ways are the best and the innovated ones are bad... Why should we argue with the tree and spoil the fruits? Pragmatic thinking is essential!

NeuroticHellFem
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 7:14:08 AM

Neurons: 2,590,862
Daemon wrote:

I think I remember Don Quixote saying this to Sancho Panza. I loved Sancho Panza.
dahmed63
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 7:46:30 AM

Neurons: 10,751
I agree proverbs when used reasonably and aptly are great way to convey the experience of our ansesters .Whereas their misuse render the speech vulgar.
monamagda
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 7:48:40 AM

Neurons: 6,641,701
Context from: DON QUIXOTE -Chapter XLIII

OF THE SECOND SET OF COUNSELS DON QUIXOTE GAVE SANCHO PANZA

"God alone can cure that," said Sancho; "for I have more proverbs in me than a book, and when I speak they come so thick together into my mouth that they fall to fighting among themselves to get out; that's why my tongue lets fly the first that come, though they may not be pat to the purpose. But I'll take care henceforward to use such as befit the dignity of my office; for 'in a house where there's plenty, supper is soon cooked,' and 'he who binds does not wrangle,' and 'the bell-ringer's in a safe berth,' and 'giving and keeping require brains.'"

"That's it, Sancho!" said Don Quixote; "pack, tack, string proverbs together; nobody is hindering thee! 'My mother beats me, and I go on with my tricks.' I am bidding thee avoid proverbs, and here in a second thou hast shot out a whole litany of them, which have as much to do with what we are talking about as 'over the hills of Ubeda.' Mind, Sancho, I do not say that a proverb aptly brought in is objectionable; but to pile up and string together proverbs at random makes conversation dull and vulgar.

( a different Translation from spanish )

Red on line :http://www.online-literature.com/cervantes/don_quixote/101/

Spanish version:

También, Sancho, no has de mezclar en tus pláticas la muchedumbre de refranes que sueles; que, puesto que los refranes son sentencias breves, muchas veces los traes tan por los cabellos, que más parecen disparates que sentencias.
–Eso Dios lo puede remediar –respondió Sancho–, porque sé más refranes que un libro, y viénenseme tantos juntos a la boca cuando hablo, que riñen por salir unos con otros, pero la lengua va arrojando los primeros que encuentra, aunque no vengan a pelo. Mas yo tendré cuenta de aquí adelante de decir los que convengan a la gravedad de mi cargo, que en casa llena presto se guisa la cena, y quien destaja no baraja, y a buen salvo está el que repica, y el dar y el tener seso ha menester.
–¡Eso sí, Sancho! –dijo don Quijote–: ¡encaja, ensarta, enhila refranes, que nadie te va a la mano! ¡Castígame mi madre, y yo trómpogelas! Estoyte diciendo que escuses refranes, y en un instante has echado aquí una letanía dellos, que así cuadran con lo que vamos tratando como por los cerros de úbeda. Mira, Sancho, no te digo yo que parece mal un refrán traído a propósito, pero cargar y ensartar refranes a troche moche hace la plática desmayada y baja.

http://www.donquijote.org/spanishlanguage/literature/library/quijote/271.asp
ChristopherJohnson
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 8:20:40 AM

Neurons: 2,005,047
That is what Sancho was inclined to.
Bobby Angell
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 12:56:57 PM

Neurons: 1,743
I feel this same way about Zen Koans. Alone they can be profound but throw too many of them around and they tend to lose their power. I believe the same could be said for Sancho and his proverbs. While they were some of my favorite parts from the book in real life they might have been a little aggravating.
mudbudda669
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 6:24:52 PM

Neurons: 410,640
Even the worlds first novelist knew it !
Taxiarchis
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 10:52:10 PM

Neurons: 123,382
The very nature of memes.