mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Single Life Options
biba
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:28:16 PM

Neurons: 5,205
Why do you think some people remain single?
Would you like to be single all your life?
Is it better to be single or married? Why?
What are the advantages of being single?
Do you think that single people are happier?
Do you think it is easier for man or woman to be single?
Why did you think some people prefer to be single?
How do you think single people feel on Valentine's Day?
Do you think that there is a soulmate somewhere for everyone?
Do you think that single people like being single?
In your country, what do people think about a woman/man in her 30s who is unmarried?
HWNN1961
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:35:13 PM

Neurons: 9,763
I'll sum it up this way:

"The grass is always greener on the other side".

Try to remember the reasons you are who and where you are in life, and make it work.
grammargeek
Posted: Thursday, July 22, 2010 10:53:41 PM

Neurons: 33,836
There are pros and cons to both the single life and the married life. I don't think they are necessarily the same for each couple, so I don't really think general speculation will do much to answer your questions.

However, I will say that in the U.S., women and men in their 30's and single--no problem. Thirty years ago, there might have been a few questions asked of a single woman in her mid to late 30's (unless recently divorced or widowed), but not these days.
dingdong
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 1:09:28 AM

Neurons: 3,370
Biba, you pose enough questions to fill many threads. Maybe you are hoping to set a new posting record?

I have pondered similar questions all my life. I think a nice analogy is taking a walk through a fairground. You can either stroll around between the games and the rides, just watching and wondering, or you can participate in the rollercoaster thrills. Of course, you don't know if the various experiences will make you ecstatic, or sick and giddy; some may even throw you off, so you get bruised and hesistant about getting back on again.
biba
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 1:17:55 AM

I was just curious about your opinions..sorry!^^
dingdong
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 1:22:51 AM

biba wrote:

No need to apologise. You pose good questions.
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 1:26:30 AM

Neurons: 7,777

A: It depends. Some like to be that way. If by single we assume you are referring to those who are not with a steady partner, they are obviously courting different partners all the time.
Still others may be suffering from depression from past experiences or personal problems like family issues etc. And still others are those who could never find a partner for themselves. There could be other reasons as well.

I am not, in that I am with someone, and I wouldn't want to be away from her. So a big No to that question. Can't say about others. No one can for that matter.

There is nothing absolute in this world. Least of all good or bad in something that is as personal a choice as getting married or not. Just depends on the individual. If two people are in love, they can surely get married, but as I said, it depends on the persons involved.

We are starting to go in circles now. The first question sort of encompasses this one too.

How does it matter what we think? There is no way for anyone to know that. As I said, it depends on the person himself/herself.

Again, circles.

Another round completed.

They feel just like they do on any other day. If someone is unhappy because of being single, he/she will feel unhappy every day but yes may be more on this day where many couples will be seen locking lips and holding hands.

No. I don't think that. That sounds like a sentence lifted from a silly romantic movie like the ones by Hugh Grant. ;)

Haven't you asked something like that before? Ohh...my head must be spinning like a lattoo. Lol just kidding.

In your country, what do people think about a woman/man in her 30s who is unmarried?

This is a very good question. In my country, a woman who is not married in her 30's is often given dirty looks by some seniors. But then they are cheap people (or so I find them) so I hope that demented generation of some superstition and complex-ridden oldies will go away soon. As for men, they are usually spared these looks but they have other problems.
biba
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 1:31:31 AM

Wow!hahahaha Applause I really admire how Mr. kisholoy mukherjee answers questions.. ^.^ thanks!
biba
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 1:32:31 AM

dingdong wrote:
biba wrote:

Thanks! ^^
dingdong
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 1:57:56 AM

Biba, in your country - and I know I am generalising - men tend to shy away from any kind of responsibility.
How do you feel about this?
What are your opinions?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 4:46:46 AM

Neurons: 604,649
If you live single all the beer in fridge is yours. If you live copulated you must share but there's the option you don't have to go buying more by yourself when the case is emptied.
Whistle Dancing
Mia
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 6:27:49 AM

Neurons: 66
Some interesting questions there... I felt the need to fill them out and express my personal opinions with regards to the questions posed. ^_^

I think there are two types of single people: those who are happy being on their own and like it that way, and those who have not found anyone they are compatible with.

Whilst I am at ease with my own company and I'm quite an independant person, I would not like to be single all my life. When I was single, I would go through stages of loneliness and feel a great need for someone to depend on.

It depends on the person, but for me personally, I think that being married is better because I want to be able to share my life with someone - I grew up in a loving family and with a brother two years older than me whom I used to spend a lot of time with when I was a child so to move out of my parents house and to live the rest of my life on my own would make me feel quite isolated. I'm not someone who makes friends that easily, either so if I was single, I would most definitely spend most of my time alone.

You can do what you want!! lol. You answer to no one, are not responsible for or to anyone.

I guess it depends on their situation and if they are happy being single. I am much happier in a relationship because I love being able to share my life, my thoughts and everything with my other half - and I love hearing about his day, his thoughts, his feelings, etc..

I think it's easier for a man to be single in a way - mostly due to the fact that most women will go through a stage in their life where they get hormonal and want children. Men are less likely to have these feelings because they are not filled with estrogen are not constantly reminded of their ability to have children every 28 days.

I think some people just prefer to be on their own. Humans are social animals, but they are also predatory and territorial. Despite our higher learning processes and our self-awareness, people still portray these states. Some are more social, some are more predatory and territorial. It depends on the person, because we are all so different.

Lol I used to hate valentine's day - but then, after a while I got over it and it didn't bother me - it's just another day. Now I'm in a long-term relationship, valentine's day is an opportunity to buy something really lovely for my other half and make him smile

Well, I did... and then I started to think that even if there was, out of all the people in the world, I would never find mine... and then I found my other half and I started to believe that there was a perfect match out there for everyone.
I have had friends come and go in my life and I noted that I have had more friends with one name than any other name - this is the name of my other half!! This is probably coincidence, but I just can't help but feel like this was the cosmos screaming at me, trying to tell me that it would happen; he was out there. - and when it comes to the spiritual/metaphysical, I am one MASSIVE sceptic!

Some of them do, some of them don't. If they're looking for a relationship and just can't find one/haven't found one yet, probably not. If they're not looking and they're happe the way they are, they probably do!!

It is not frowned upon - some people may pidgeon-hole them as a dysfunctional person who is so unlikeable that they cannot find anyone who wants to be with them - others may just see them as independant. Generally though, they are treated the same as other people and these opinions and judgements are not communicated to the person they are directed at.
dingdong
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 7:37:39 AM

KM wrote: This is a very good question. In my country, a woman who is not married in her 30's is often given dirty looks by some seniors. But then they are cheap people (or so I find them) so I hope that demented generation of some superstition and complex-ridden oldies will go away soon. As for men, they are usually spared these looks but they have other problems.

Mia wrote: It is not frowned upon - some people may pidgeon-hole them as a dysfunctional person who is so unlikeable that they cannot find anyone who wants to be with them - others may just see them as independant. Generally though, they are treated the same as other people and these opinions and judgements are not communicated to the person they are directed at.

DD: I do believe the attitude towards 30+ single women varies from West to East. Whereas in the West, it is a life-style choice, in the East it is regarded with suspicion. I have lived in China for over a year and know the general sentiment towards older single women.
But it is unfair. Despite there being more men than women here (1-child policy; preference for male), I have to say that men here are full of their own importance; how could it be otherwise when they are treated as little princes when they are young? Women may well feel that it is difficult to meet suitably mature men. Further, the rather silly prejudice of many men (and their families) against non-virgins exacerbates the situation.

VSB
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 8:06:44 AM

Neurons: 48
Being single or married depends on each individual.
The big difference is that when you are single what ever you do will only affect you, you think and act for yourself. When you are married, before taking a decision you have to think how will it affect your partner and sometimes you will even have to give up things.
When I was single I couldn't understand why people decided not to do something because his/her partner didn't agree. But now that I'm happily married and in love, I realize and prefer giving up in certain situations than being single and do what ever I want.
AJC
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 10:03:14 AM

Neurons: 2,436
dingdong wrote:
Biba, you pose enough questions to fill many threads. Maybe you are hoping to set a new posting record?

I have pondered similar questions all my life. I think a nice analogy is taking a walk through a fairground. You can either stroll around between the games and the rides, just watching and wondering, or you can participate in the rollercoaster thrills. Of course, you don't know if the various experiences will make you ecstatic, or sick and giddy; some may even throw you off, so you get bruised and hesistant about getting back on again.

I love great analogies.Applause Applause Applause
AJC
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 10:06:40 AM

Neurons: 2,436
biba wrote:
dingdong wrote:
biba wrote:

Thanks! ^^

No apologies. These are good questions and particularly interesting to find out what others here in this world wide forum with so many and varied individuals has to say.
2discuss
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 12:10:37 PM

Neurons: 45
In the previous centuries being single (especially for women) meant a life without sex. In the 21st century that isn't necessarily the case. There are also families that exist where the parents are unmarried, but the family works as a unit, without laws protecting the children. Are you talking about living alone without contact with a love partner, or living outside of marriage? Single can mean many things.
Statistics in this country say divorced and/or widowed men are eager to get married again, women not as much, because equity in marriage still hasn't been achieved and once a woman lives what that means she is not as willing to be tied into the servitude of it. We have come a long way, but it is not unusual for the female in a relationship to do the bulk of the menial labor.Try asking a guy to take over latrine duty. Most that I have met just don't(even though they do a hell of a job leaving messes on the floor etc, not to mention dirty unmentionables lying about).
For people past the childbearing age being with someone is more about companionship and you don't really need to be married for that. It think it is time for the older adults to experiment with different social models for being connected without being tied to one person. There is a maturity there that doesn't expect fireworks and soulmates, and perhaps could find other forms of companionship that haven't been considered so far. Its time for people to open to more possibilities of how people connect with each other. When you only have two choices it leaves many out in the cold.
dingdong
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 12:17:34 PM

2discuss wrote: We have come a long way, but it is not unusual for the female in a relationship to do the bulk of the menial labor.Try asking a guy to take over latrine duty. Most that I have met just don't(even though they do a hell of a job leaving messes on the floor etc, not to mention dirty unmentionables lying about).

DD: You're just mixing with the wrong sorts. Try to develop a 'radar' for this.
Now, where's my toilet brush ...
vhishious
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 12:24:30 PM

Neurons: 171
1. This may vary from person to person, but it's safe to assume that in many cases, especially with single women, they might not have found a partner yet.

2. No, I wouldn't. I've found that I'm not half as independent as I imagine myself to be, and I don't think that will change even if I learn to do such things as cooking that are typically associated with the fairer sex. (I hope that's not sexist!)

3. In the society from which I come, it is considered much better for one to be married than single as married couple are considered responsible people having to bring up children and all, and earn a lot of respect as a result. In fact, one may ascend to a position of prominence simply because he's married. As for the individual benefits, I think it depends on who you ask and a number of conditions, and very much open to debate. I like to think breadwinners of impoverished families would do better on their own where they won't have to bear the cost of living of all other members of the family. (I say family because most marriages result in them and with it comes quite a number of responsibilities.)

4. Relatively low cost of living and not many other people to worry about when making vital decisions. (I am also aware that people's financial lives may improve a lot when they get married to affluent spouses.)

5. Inasmuch as a lot of divorcees are almost immediately looking for partners, I think not.

6. Depends on who can take care of themselves better and how easier it is for one to satisfy their sexual needs without a steady partner.

7. I don't know about others but I for one wouldn't marry if I'm not in a good financial stead to do so; again, marriage comes with family and with family comes a lot of responsibilities. I honestly wouldn't want to bring to the world a child I cannot take care of(at least not if I could help it), and would not want to marry without having kids either.

8 & 9. Inconsequential, to my mind.

10. Not those who didn't choose to be single.

11. In Ghana, a single man who is in a good position to marry is constantly been reminded and urged on by his close relatives and friends to find a wife. Thirty-plus single women are generally regarded as unfortunate; well, until someone comes along-which is very likely if you're patient enough.
RARA
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 12:24:35 PM

Neurons: 2,097
dingdong wrote:
2discuss wrote: We have come a long way, but it is not unusual for the female in a relationship to do the bulk of the menial labor.Try asking a guy to take over latrine duty. Most that I have met just don't(even though they do a hell of a job leaving messes on the floor etc, not to mention dirty unmentionables lying about).

Hear Hear DD! There's no way in hell I am cleaning up after some guy who can't hit the bowl. Have some self respect and demand standards are met, if they don't meet them, BYE BYE.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 12:39:26 PM

2discuss:
In our companionship I'm the one who keeps sauna, bathroom and toilets clean ;-)
I take the carpets out and vacuum the floors. I feed the fellow squirrels Osku and Riku and give massage to strained shoulders and neck for my spouse. The cooking we make even. We still sleep close and walk hand in hand.
2discuss
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 1:20:22 PM

Neurons: 45
dingdong wrote:

Thank you for the good laugh
kisholoy mukherjee
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 1:56:10 PM

Neurons: 7,777
dingdong wrote:

DD: I do believe the attitude towards 30+ single women varies from West to East. Whereas in the West, it is a life-style choice, in the East it is regarded with suspicion. I have lived in China for over a year and know the general sentiment towards older single women.
But it is unfair. Despite there being more men than women here (1-child policy; preference for male), I have to say that men here are full of their own importance; how could it be otherwise when they are treated as little princes when they are young? Women may well feel that it is difficult to meet suitably mature men. Further, the rather silly prejudice of many men (and their families) against non-virgins exacerbates the situation.

The above is very true. Good points, DD.
tusk
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 1:59:42 PM

Neurons: 522
biba wrote:

I celebrate my Independence Day on 14 February.
26letters
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 2:11:20 PM

Neurons: 2,050
TV & Movies of the 20th Century portrayed women (and girls) as always on the prowl for a husband, and usually the men doing everything in their power to escape. In fact the plot of the story is: Girl chases boy, boy runs away, girl cries, boy feels sorry, boy wipes away tears, kisses girl, falls in love... gets married. (I can hear the organ music in my head.)

I grew up with the notion that although women desperately need men - men don't need women. (except for the obvious)

My experience in reality is just the opposite. Of the men I've known, most do not feel complete without a woman. Of the women I've known, most can still feel complete without a man.

Maybe it's because a woman loses so much more as a married person than a man does. She sacrifices her freedom more than he does. If they have children, usually she is the one that bears the brunt of the child-rearing. (She bears the entire burden of pregnancy and birth - and those pesky extra pounds afterward.)

Statistics have shown that even though women now make up a large segment of the work force, the work they have to do at home is virtually unchanged. I know there are men who contribute a great deal to helping out, but their numbers are still almost insignificant.

But even emotionally, women generally do better single than men. The news is filled with stories of men who went berserk, shooting up restaurants, post offices, schools... and why? Because his girlfriend dumped him. It's a little more unusual for a woman to do that if she gets dumped.

And, statistically, divorced or widowed men are more likely to remarry than divorced or widowed women. (hmm, that sentence needs restructuring.)

I know there are exceptions to all of this - this is just my observation.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 2:17:18 PM

26letters wrote:

I know there are exceptions to all of this - this is just my observation.

Pecos Bill, James Bond and Dirty Harry Gallaghan never married.
Lady Penelope
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 2:51:49 PM

Neurons: 1,107
Having been both married and single I will try to answer honestly, this is just my take on it though.

[quote=biba]Why do you think some people remain single? Perhaps the right person has yet to come into their lives

Would you like to be single all your life? At the moment, yes. that may change if I meet someone special

Is it better to be single or married? Why? Single for me, freedom to do as I please.

What are the advantages of being single? No-one complains if I buy another pair of shoes. I can sit here as I am at the moment, glass of wine in hand whilst I read the threads(pity I had to put it down to type)
I don't have to cook dinner, if I prefer to have a take-away or just a snack, fine

Do you think that single people are happier? I am

Do you think it is easier for man or woman to be single? Both, life is what you make it. Perhaps women maybe be better at keeping house. OK chaps I did say maybe.

Why did you think some people prefer to be single? See above, advantages.

How do you think single people feel on Valentine's Day? I get more cards than when I was married.

Do you think that there is a soulmate somewhere for everyone? Not sure about that, sometimes it takes a long time to find them.

Do you think that single people like being single? I do

In your country, what do people think about a woman/man in her 30s who is unmarried? As others have said before, there is no discrimination here in the UK.

Lucie
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 3:24:29 PM

Neurons: 395
Why do you think some people remain single? Because they want to? Personally, I always feel more relaxed and at peace and happy when I'm single

Would you like to be single all your life? I'm not sure. I don't plan on actively looking for someone, but if I happen to stumble upon someone amazing that doesn't make me feel like I'm suffocating, they we'll see.

Is it better to be single or married? Why? As most people have already said, this will be different for each person. I think some people are just naturally loners who don't need another person to feel whole. I don't ever feel lonely or incomplete. Financially, it is probably better to be in a dual-income situation. The only time I ever regret not being married or at least living with someone is when I pay the rent on my own every month. I could get a roommate, but I really like having the place to myself.

What are the advantages of being single? Freedom.

Do you think that single people are happier? Anyone who is single by choice will be happier than someone who is in an unpleasant relationship

Do you think it is easier for man or woman to be single? Honestly, I think it is probably easier for men. There are places that I just can't go by myself for fear of being attacked or raped or something. Men have more freedom to move around on their own without worrying about this sort of thing. If they want to go to a concert in a bad part of town, they don't have to call around and find someone to escort them safely there.

Why did you think some people prefer to be single? Isn't this the same as number one? Personally, having been in relationships, and having been single, and making a comparison, I have found that I am much happier on my own

How do you think single people feel on Valentine's Day? I can speak from experience that happily-single people actually forget that it is Valentine's Day. This past Valentine's Day, I was out at a restaurant with friends,and at the end of the meal, the waitress brought us little bags of heart-shaped candy. Only then did it occur to us what day it was.

Do you think that there is a soulmate somewhere for everyone? I think that everyone has people that they will encounter over the course of their lives that they instantly feel connected to, like immediately upon meeting this person, you suddenly realize that you were supposed to meet this person for some reason, and it feels like you've known them forever. This has happened to me. I don't think there is just one. I think it is just that there are people who we have so much in common with, that when we meet one of these people, it is an almost other-worldly feeling - to instantly feel that connected with someone - to have someone really get everything about you. When this does happen with someone, it will not necessarily be a romantic connection, but it will be a deep, important connection, even if it is just on the level of friendship.

Do you think that single people like being single? I sure do.

In your country, what do people think about a woman/man in her 30s who is unmarried? That person's married friends will constantly be trying to get the unmarried person to consider settling down. It's like they can't stand it if their single friends won't join their little cult of matrimony. I'm obviously exaggerating, but I have experienced this. These days though, in general, it is so common for people to be single over 30, that I don't think people really think anything of it.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 3:27:45 PM

biba wrote:

I think Freedelfia is a place to find lots of soulmates. And I'm not talking about falling in love with anyone. Way back when I subscribed here I found this guy TB, a member who haven't been posting here since last December but is still high in the members list. After some first days I found him being like my brother in thoughts: same attitudes for life, same sense of humour (humor for TB) and so on. Nowadays I find many users here to be my soulmates but I'm not gonna make any list. Those who are, know it.

The funny thing is, my soulmates here are old and young, males and females, wise and crazy ones. Almost all kind.
If I take one more beer I might even think Peter and Kisholoy are my friends ;-)
Cass
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 7:18:50 PM

Neurons: 1,770
quoting JJ:
Pecos Bill, James Bond and Dirty Harry Gallaghan never married.

James Bond got married in one of the movies but his wife was killed soon after. Did I dream that?

By the way, JJ, when you are again single (and I hope that won't be for a very long time) I want to be in the line that's going to vye for your attentions. You clean bathrooms!!!
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 7:38:58 PM

Cass wrote:

By the way, JJ, when you are again single (and I hope that won't be for a very long time) I want to be in the line that's going to vye for your attentions. You clean bathrooms!!!

"Just form a decent queue out there and no pushing. The richest and youngest first...!"

You were not dreaming. I can recall Bond married in one movie. And Dirty Harry almost fell in love in the second movie.

grammargeek
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 7:41:45 PM

Neurons: 33,836
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
biba wrote:

I think Freedelfia is a place to find lots of soulmates. And I'm not talking about falling in love with anyone. Way back when I subscribed here I found this guy TB, a member who haven't been posting here since last December but is still high in the members list. After some first days I found him being like my brother in thoughts: same attitudes for life, same sense of humour (humor for TB) and so on. Nowadays I find many users here to be my soulmates but I'm not gonna make any list. Those who are, know it.

The funny thing is, my soulmates here are old and young, males and females, wise and crazy ones. Almost all kind.
If I take one more beer I might even think Peter and Kisholoy are my friends ;-)

Interestingly enough, I just talked to TB (via email) a couple of days ago. He's been doing quite well lately. I told him he created a toaster monster over here. Truth be told, I think he kinda likes that notion. TB and I got to the point that we could just about finish one another's sentences. His wife is lovely and also has a good sense of humor. TB told her that I was his girlfriend, and she was all for it--as long as I'm living in a different state!

Seriously, I may have the chance to meet TB and his wife and son face to face this fall when they plan to be out this way. I think that would be a blast. Otherwise, I'll have to wait until I'm wealthy enough to make it to JJ's Freedelfia in Finland get together. Dancing
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 7:53:03 PM

Actually I'm a grass widow this weekend (this is not a call!).
Sirpa went to Luhanka in Central Finland to be a bartender for Saturday and Sunday.
I was left alone with enough food for a squad of hungry Jaegers and enough beer for two weeks serious binge-drinking.
The last words at the door were: "And don't stay all day and night in TFD, go out and have a talk with someone."
So I went for a walk and fed Osku and Riku and came back here ;-) I said hello to my neighbours daughter and her dog.
kaleem
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 8:39:44 PM

Neurons: 9,948
Wow - what a list of questions?
I am sitting on the fence.

dingdong
Posted: Friday, July 23, 2010 9:24:56 PM

26letters wrote:

Statistics have shown that even though women now make up a large segment of the work force, the work they have to do at home is virtually unchanged. I know there are men who contribute a great deal to helping out, but their numbers are still almost insignificant.

26letters could this not be because of the indoctrinated boy/girl values prevalent in the US? (re: boy/girl rules thread). Those who tell their sons they should not do 'women's work' can hardly complain when they do just that.