The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Patriotism is like charity—it begins at home. Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 65,181
Patriotism is like charity—it begins at home.

Henry James (1843-1916)
Bully_rus
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 5:32:01 AM

Neurons: 126,678
Yeah. Patriotism is like charity and many other noble terms – can be abused and misused...
ibj_ldn
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 8:04:05 AM

Neurons: 113,329
All good things - as well as the bad ones - begin at home.
ibj_ldn
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 8:07:47 AM

Neurons: 113,329
Unfortunately, we Brazilians are not patriotic people; we just gaze at our own navel.
monamagda
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 9:12:03 AM

Neurons: 3,627,821

Context from:The Portrait of a Lady

Chapter X

“I don’t suppose that you are going to undertake to persuade me that you are an American,” she said
“To please you, I will be an Englishman, I will be a Turk!"
“Well, if you can change about that way, you are very welcome,” Miss Stackpole rejoined.
“I am sure you understand everything, and that differences of nationality are no barrier to you,” Ralph went on.
Miss Stackpole gazed at him still. “Do you mean the foreign languages"
“The languages are nothing. I mean the spirit—the genius.”
“I am not sure that I understand you,” said the correspondent of the Interviewer; “but I expect I shall before I leave.”
“He is what is called a cosmopolitan,” Isabel suggested.
“That means he’s a little of everything and not much of any. I must say I think patriotism is like charity—it begins at home."
“Ah, but where does home begin, Miss Stackpole?” Ralph inquired.
“I don’t know where it begins, but I know where it ends. It ended a long time before I got here.”
“Don’t you like it over here?” asked Mr. Touchett, with his mild, wise, aged, innocent voice.
“Well, sir, I haven’t quite made up my mind what ground I shall take. I feel a good deal cramped. I felt it on the journey from Liverpool to London.”
“Perhaps you were in a crowded carriage,” Ralph suggested.

raghd muhi al-deen
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 9:43:45 AM

Neurons: 48,595

Henry James
Also found in: Dictionary, Thesaurus, Medical, Wikipedia.
Related to Henry James: William James
James, Henry, 1811–82, American student of religion and social problems, b. Albany, N.Y.; father of the philosopher William James

and of the novelist Henry James

. He rebelled against the strict Calvinist theology of his family and of Princeton Theological Seminary, to which he was sent, and sought a personal solution. Swedenborg

's teachings opened for him a way and provided the framework for his own thought as expressed in Substance and Shadow; or, Morality and Religion in Their Relation to Life (1863), Society the Redeemed Form of Man, and the Earnest of God's Omnipotence in Human Nature (1879), and other books. He later developed a social philosophy based upon the principles of Charles Fourier

. He was a close friend of many literary figures, including Ralph Waldo Emerson

and Thomas Carlyle

Bibliography

See F. H. Young, The Philosophy of Henry James (1950); biographies by A. Warren (1934) and A. Habegger (1994). See also studies of the James family by F. O. Matthiessen (1947), R. W. B. Lewis (1991), and P. Fisher (2008).
James, Henry, 1843–1916, American novelist and critic, b. New York City. A master of the psychological novel, James was an innovator in technique and one of the most distinctive prose stylists in English.

He was the son of Henry James

, Sr., a Swedenborgian theologian, and the brother of William James

, the philosopher. Educated privately by tutors in Europe and the United States, he entered Harvard law school in 1862. Encouraged by William Dean Howells

and other members of the Cambridge literary circle in the 1860s, James wrote critical articles and reviews for the Atlantic Monthly, a periodical in which several of his novels later appeared in serial form. He made several trips to Europe, and while there he became associated with such notable literary figures as Turgenev

and Flaubert

. In 1876 he settled permanently in London and became a British subject in 1915.

James devoted himself to literature and travel, gradually assuming the role of detached spectator and analyst of life. In his early novels, including Roderick Hudson (1876), The American (1877), Daisy Miller (1879), and The Portrait of a Lady (1881), as well as some of his later work, James contrasts the sophisticated, though somewhat staid, Europeans with the innocent, eager, though often brash, Americans. In the novels of his middle period, The Bostonians (1886), The Princess Casamassima (1886), and The Tragic Muse (1890), he turned his attention from the international theme to reformers, revolutionaries, and political aspirants.

During and after an unsuccessful six-year attempt (1889–95) to win recognition as a playwright, James wrote a series of short, powerful novels, including The Aspern Papers (1888), What Maisie Knew (1897), The Spoils of Poynton (1897), The Turn of the Screw (1898), and The Sacred Fount (1901). In his last and perhaps his greatest novels, The Wings of the Dove (1902), The Ambassadors (1903), and The Golden Bowl (1904), all marked by a return to the international theme, James reached his highest development in the portrayal of the intricate subtleties of character and in the use of a complex, convoluted style to express delicate nuances of thought.

Perhaps more than any previous writer, James refined the technique of narrating a novel from the point of view of a character, thereby laying the foundations of modern stream of consciousness

fiction. The series of critical prefaces he wrote for the reissue of his novels (beginning in 1907) won him a reputation as a superb technician. He is also famous for his finely wrought short stories, including "The Beast in the Jungle" and "The Real Thing," which are masterpieces of the genre. In addition to fiction and literary criticism, James wrote several books on travel and three autobiographical works. He never married.
Bibliography

See his plays, ed. by L. Edel (1949); his travel writings, ed. by R. Howard (2 vol., 1993); his complete letters, ed. by P. A. Walker and G. W. Zacharias (3 vol., 2009–11) and selected letters, ed. by P. Horne (1999); his notebooks, ed. by F. O. Matthiessen and K. B. Murdock (1947); his autobiographical works, ed. by P. Horne (2016); biographies by L. Edel (5 vol., 1953–71, rev. ed. 1985), R. Gard (1987), F. Kaplan (1992), L. Gordon (1999), and S. M. Novick (2 vol., 1996–2007); studies by F. O. Matthiessen (1944), J. W. Beach (rev. ed. 1954), Q. Anderson (1957), S. Sears (1968), P. Buitenhuis (1970), O. Cargill (1961, repr. 1971), P. Brooks (2007), and M. Gorra (2012). See also studies of the James family by F. O. Matthiessen (1947), R. W. B. Lewis (1991), and P. Fisher (2008).
The Columbia Electronic Encyclopedia™ Copyright © 2013, Columbia University Press. Licensed from Columbia University Press. All rights reserved. www.cc.columbia.edu/cu/cup/
The following article is from The Great Soviet Encyclopedia (1979). It might be outdated or ideologically biased.
James, Henry

Born Apr. 15, 1843, in New York; died Feb. 28, 1916, in London. American writer.

with my pleasure
Mehrdad77
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 12:23:29 PM

Neurons: 320,258
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain
Verbatim
Posted: Tuesday, October 03, 2017 2:12:49 PM

Neurons: 225,618
Daemon wrote:
Patriotism is like charity—it begins at home.

Henry James (1843-1916)

If patriotism begins at home, sadly, that's where the scoundrel also finds his last refuge.

“Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.”
― Samuel Johnson