Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 10:37:43 AM

Neurons: 512
Your opinions.
ponder
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 11:26:44 AM

Neurons: 41
Hello sir!
Why do you think so..please tell me.
Why UN has to be a puppet in the Hands of US?
UN has so much power of its own, isn't it?
Thanks.
addngkr
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 11:57:52 AM

There is a lot of difference between having powers and utilizing them.
Can't you see that UN's actions are always in favor of the US? UN could never prevent the US's attack on Iraq for instance.
addngkr
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 11:59:49 AM

I was expecting your opinions and not cross questions.
HWNN1961
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 12:45:29 PM

Neurons: 9,763
No, far from it. For example, the US has wanted harsh and truely effective sanctions against Iran for it's nuclear program violations. So far, no luck. USA needs China and Russia to go along.

There are people in the US that fear the New World Order, and see the One World Government being foisted on them in the guise of the UN.

The mere mention of the UN inspires them to check under their beds and in their closets for this ogre.
Anthony57
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 1:44:26 PM

Neurons: 152
Your question whether the UN is a puppet of the United States is laughable. The UN is a puppet period. Can anyone identify an issue or situation when the UN as a whole resolved?

In my opinion the UN is nothing more than a pulpit for nations to voice thoughts or beliefs. The diplomatic immunity and perks given to someone simply because they are a member of the UN is nutz [sic]. If someone is here as an ambassador that’s one thing but a member of the UN that is something else. UN diplomats, their families, their friends, their pets, etc. should obey our laws and be accountable for their actions. In my opinion the UN should rotate their headquarters every 20 years from one permanent member’s (Great Britain, France, Russia, China, and USA) country to the next. Let someone else put up with their nonsense.

While the concept of a world (?) committee to resolve issues between nations is great, the history of this committee for the past 65 proves otherwise. Is the UN a puppet in the hands of Uncle Sam? No, the UN is a puppet of the world.
peterhewett
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 1:51:06 PM

Neurons: 3,698
ponders questions were rhetorical. He said:

Why UN has to be a puppet in the Hands of US?
UN has so much power of its own, isn't it?

unquote

United Nations is a misnomer don't you think. National interst is always paramount in voting sessions

Anthony57's point is a fair one I think.
addngkr
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 1:55:41 PM

"In my opinion the UN is nothing more than a pulpit for nations to voice thoughts or beliefs."

Oh great! Why then does the UN boast itself to be an organization to bring peace in the world by making groups like nuclear disarmament group that's roping in all the countries to destroy their existing warheads while the US itself is doing nothing it this regard?(except speaking!)
abcxyz
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 2:44:16 PM

Neurons: 3,200
It will be an over-simplification to say that UN is a puppet of the US. Many proposals of the US have been vetoed by other members of the United Nations Security Council. However, many times we have seen the secretariat of UN yielding to US pressure. One such example is UN sending a mission to Iraq to help construct the new interim government, which gives the appearance that UN is with the US in the invasion that the ex-secretary-general of UN himself termed 'illegal'. There was no UN intervention in the illegal war.
Isaac Samuel
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 2:52:28 PM

Neurons: 1,222
Anthony57's perspective of the current U.N. is very palpable. The need to rotate the Headquarters to different parts of the world is imperative for the members to not to feel trapped in the ideals of the host country. Emerging countries like India and Brazil must be included to enhance their global outlook. Term limit must be 10 yrs instead of 20 to avoid lethargy.IMO

P.S I LIKE TO HAVE THE OBAMA'S NUCLEAR PROGRAM HEADQUARTERED IN SPACE NOT ON EARTH.
Anthony57
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 3:12:21 PM

Neurons: 152
To addngkr,
If you are giving your opinion, great; I respect and take it at face value. However, if you are stating fact – please provide your evidence.

To Isaac Samuel,
Ten years is fine. However, I am skeptical that this would not be sufficient time for a pending host country to prepare itself given all the hands that would be in the pot. Security requirements alone for every country might take ten years to resolve. My opinion as well but I’m with you.
Investigator
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 3:31:17 PM

Neurons: 2,961
I don't know, it seems lately the UN does whatever the US doesn't want. I don't think the UN is at all effective. It's peacekeeping troops don't keep the peace and the rape as often as they protect.

I would rather see UN go to India permanently! Not really, India doesn't need more problems; maybe France, yeah, that's a good place. We could spend all those billions on healthcare for the poor and not on propping up a useless institution.
kazi
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 8:15:53 PM

Neurons: 95
I think the UN has outlived its intrinsic values.
oxymoron
Posted: Friday, April 16, 2010 9:04:11 PM

Neurons: 845
They do seem somewhat toothless and redundant to me. Not much help in the Balkans, former Yugoslavia; maybe they should ask Gordon Brown to sell them some cheap gold for dental reconstruction. Just another quango, gravy train. Rinse. Spit!
zorba_lb
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:01:12 AM

Neurons: 128
Sure it is.