The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

How much? [milk] Options
Fruity
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 2:00:21 AM

Neurons: 4,292
How much is the most popular milk that the supermarkets in your area sell? What brand is it?

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 12:23:07 PM

Neurons: 85,256
How much is the most popular milk that the supermarkets in your area sell? What brand is it?

It can more conveniently be posted as under ;

Do you know how much and of which brand of milk is popularly sold in the supermarkets in your area.
Axel Bear
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 2:17:02 PM

Neurons: 22,403

Fruity wrote:

This is rather a clumsy construction.

My first impression was that fruity was asking about the price of milk...but the above poster seems to think it is the quantity of milk that the local supermarket sells.

Fruity, click HERE for some information.

ps. Get into the habit of considering the feelings of others before you react to circumstances around you.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 2:30:24 PM

Neurons: 85,256
The poser needs correction, not criticism. Excuse me please.
ithink140
Posted: Saturday, October 15, 2016 5:27:52 PM

Neurons: 17,922
No correction is needed as I am sure we all understood the intent of the query. We do not need to be grammatically correct, however we do need to be understood and Fruity met that requirement. Fruity was asking a question, not seeking correction of the English used. To answer the question: I have purchased milk in 2 pt cartons ranging in price from 50 pence ( a lost leader) to £1.23 ( the higher price at small shops). Supermarkets put their own name to the milk.

In the UK there is a lobby on behalf of farmers to get paid more at the point of delivery from the farm. Not enough money is charged for the retail price of milk hence the low price paid to the producers.
Priscilla86
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 3:45:38 AM

Neurons: 4,056
ithink140 wrote:
No correction is needed as I am sure we all understood the intent of the query. We do not need to be grammatically correct, however we do need to be understood and Fruity met that requirement. Fruity was asking a question, not seeking correction of the English used. To answer the question: I have purchased milk in 2 pt cartons ranging in price from 50 pence ( a lost leader) to £1.23 ( the higher price at small shops). Supermarkets put their own name to the milk.

I don't know about Fruity but I like it when a native speaker (or anyone smarter than me, for that matter) corrects my English, no matter the sub-forum. And sometimes I learn a lot more from sub-forums other than Vocabulary or Grammar because the discussions can be more lively.

Now, back to Fruity's original questions, I don't know about popular but the most common milk brand here in Singapore is Magnolia and it costs about five Singapore dollars for 2 liters.