The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Thoughtless, arrogant dog owners on planes Options
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, October 9, 2016 11:12:35 AM

Neurons: 22,062
From a letter in the "Travel" section of the Los Angeles Times of October 9, 2016.

"I agree 100% ... regarding pets with passengers. They should be cared for in cargo.

"Recently I was on a long flight and a woman in my row had two small dogs (pampered pets) outside of the carrier. I addressed attendants, who spoke to her.

"She glared at me and cooperated only until they left. I requested a complaint form before landing and then followed up with a letter to the airline. I received a thank you and noncommittal response. Nothing further; obviously it did not care to hear from me or do anything to make changes to accommodate human passengers."
TheParser
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 3:11:16 PM

A television report today says that thousands of animals are taken aboard airplanes by their owners, who claim that they need those animals for emotional support.

Some of those animals include monkeys and -- pigs.

The government promises to finally come up with some rules as to what kind of animals may and may not be taken aboard by passengers.
Kerry.P
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 2:56:53 AM

Neurons: 13,143
I gather that you're writing of things that happen in USA. Is that right?

I didn't know that any animals were allowed to travel as passengers; they travel 'cargo' here in Australia.

I'm not even sure if guide dogs are permitted as passengers here, and they are exempted from other bans such as taxis, public transport and restaurants.

We have a saying "Only in America" - seems to apply to animals too.
TheParser
Posted: Wednesday, October 12, 2016 4:40:26 AM

Kerry.P wrote:

We have a saying "Only in America" - seems to apply to animals too.

Some supermarkets, etc. here post signs: "Service dogs [for disabled people] are welcome. Other dogs are prohibited."

I often notice, however, that some people (who are presumably not disabled) flout the rule.

Their attitude is often: Rule or no rule, I am bringing my dog in. I dare you to say something.

The store employees keep their mouths shut.

Most employees do not want trouble.

The scofflaws know this.
TheParser
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 12:13:22 PM

For the sake of fairness, here is another point of view in a letter to the "Travel" section of the Los Angeles Times (October 16, 2016):

"As the grieving partner of a recently deceased certified hearing dog, I was dismayed by the letters about service/therapy animals flying on airplanes.

"My partner and I traveled extensively during our nearly seven years together. Most people didn't even know she was on board.

"There is a major difference between service animals and therapy dogs. Both serve a purpose, but service animals are trained to a higher level of competency. A good part of their service is also dependent on the composure of their partner."