The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Our church welcomes you if Options
thar
Posted: Sunday, October 9, 2016 7:43:50 PM

Neurons: 87,504
I am currently living and working in East London. I am not a religious person (well, I don't believe in God, for a start, and for some that is sort of definitiveWhistle ) but I have no problem with church for a bit of community and the odd song, and a bit of personal spirituality. Anyway, I was looking up the website of a church I know where they have blood donation sessions and markets and a world music singing group( among other things like veg garden, homeless shelter) to see what is going on at the moment. Anyway, I was struck by the welcome message. Dancing

I have seen some comic ones from the US in the funny signs thread, but I liked the self-deprecating humour in this. Making fun of all the 'earnest' stuff. Like 'religion'.
So, I just thought I would post it, just to share the smile.
Maybe you can add what your local place of worship has to say about itself?

Quote:

Greetings to you from St Paul’s West Hackney and welcome to our website.

We extend a special welcome to St Paul's to those who are single, married, divorced, widowed, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, gender fluid, filthy rich, comfortable or down to their last farthing. We extend a special welcome to wailing babies and excited toddlers.

We welcome you whether you sing like Pavarotti or just growl quietly to yourself. You've welcome here if you're just browsing, just woken up or just been released from prison. We care not if you attend church more than the Archbishop of Canterbury or if you've not been to church since Christmas ten years ago.

We extend a special welcome to those who are over 60 but haven't grown up as yet and to teenagers who are growing up too fast.
We welcome those who are in recovery or still addicted. We welcome you if you're having problems, down in the dumps or don't like 'organised religion'. We're not that struck on it either.

We offer a welcome to those who work too hard, those who don't work, can't work, can't spell or are here because their mother is here for the weekend and demanded to come to church.

We welcome those who are inked, pierced, both or neither. We offer a special welcome to those who could use a prayer right now, have had religion shoved down their throats as kids or who wound up here by mistake. We welcome pilgrims, tourists, migrants, asylum seekers, neighbours, explorers, doubters ..........and we welcome you.

If you'd like to know more about St Paul's Church, then do get in touch - our details are on the Contacts Page.

I can't see any reason not to post this, so here it is. By the way, this a Church of England parish church. So, Protestant, Anglican. (Unless someone wishes to correct my characterisation?)
Tolerant to the point of extremism. When a C of E bishop came out and said he didn't actually believe in God it barely ruffled a feather. His choice. Whistle Seriously chilled.
ruonjaacharon
Posted: Sunday, October 9, 2016 10:46:32 PM

Neurons: 178
What a nice welcome message. It sounds like that church makes for a nice, united community... Wish that were the case where I currently live... Salt Lake City, Utah, Land of the Mormons, where beer has half the alcohol content than the rest of the country (what happened to separation of church and state???), and where you are most certainly NOT welcome into the Mormon church, for instance, if you are many of the things listed on St. Paul's website.
I myself was baptized twice in life. First as a baby, dipped into water for the Greek Orthodox church. Six years later, I had water poured onto my forehead in the name of baptism in the Catholic church. I most definitely consider myself a spiritual person, and don't like the idea of being affiliated with a religious institution... I believe in the things I was taught as a child (mostly), but prefer to practice my faith personally, without any sort of manipulation or oppression of my chosen ideology and identity by organized external forces...
Blodybeef
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 1:15:02 AM

Neurons: 566,992
Hereabouts, they say you'll burn in hell for eternity if you don't come to the mosque.

But, I believe God is love and is everywhere, that there's no definitive house of God, so I pray wherever I am, knowing that if he wants to accept my prayers he will, but if he doesn't...
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 2:45:31 AM

Neurons: 629,881
That's about the best definition of "welcome" I've heard in a while.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 4:01:07 AM

Neurons: 571,761
When I sit in my local pub, whoever comes and asks to sit with me to have a good chat while drinking a beer or two,
and whether he or she is white, black, yellow, or whatever colour, whatever the religion or not, whatever the homecountry or native tongue,
they are all welccome, as long they are not all prick.
Pray
jacobusmaximus
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2016 5:13:16 AM

Neurons: 577,397
St. Paul's, West Hackney, is simply spelling out in plain words the Gospel message. The Gospel is exactly that and it has been preached for two thousand, years. Fewer people today understand the message, and that includes many Church regulars. So, good for St. Paul's, West Hackney. We must pray that they practice what they preach.
ellana
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 6:11:10 AM

Neurons: 127,302
I'm a little late in the conversation but I echo the thoughts of everyone. Optimism rules!
pedro
Posted: Friday, October 14, 2016 6:35:23 AM

Neurons: 63,022
If you want wailing children, dodgy geezers on parole, tone deaf noisy unrhythmical bores, you can get them for nothing on a Tube train (without the religion).