The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Meanwhile in Canada Options
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2016 12:14:08 AM

Neurons: 52,448
Just wanted to share this with you.

"Behold the Canada 150 tulip, the official tulip of Canada’s 150th anniversary.

The National Capital Commission partnered with the Kingdom of the Netherlands to create this beautiful tulip with an elegant white bloom and red flames which bears a striking resemblance to our maple leaf flag.

During the sesquicentennial celebrations in spring 2017, 300,000 Canada 150 tulips will be showcased in Ottawa's flower beds, and thousands more will bloom in community gardens across Canada.

You can get some for your garden now at Home Hardware.

Fun fact: The first tulip beds in the Capital were planted in 1945, when the Netherlands sent 100,000 tulip bulbs as a postwar gift of gratitude for the role that Canadian soldiers had played in the liberation of the Netherlands.

“The tulip represents gratitude and the long-standing friendship between Canada and the Netherlands. Blooming in the colours of Canada’s flag, Canada 150 tulips will bring both pride and joy to gardens and communities from coast to coast to coast.” — His Excellency Cees Kole, Ambassador of the Kingdom of the Netherlands"

[image not available]
Orson Burleigh
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2016 4:08:32 AM

Neurons: 131,067
That is a handsome bloom. Congratulations on Canada's upcoming 150th.
ellana
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2016 10:17:24 AM

Neurons: 127,308
Hope... thank you for putting us on the map with this and other posts. You always present positive things about the country and its people. We're not perfect but, we have enviable qualities. As an expat, I visit every year and always feel proud to see my countrymen/women, born and adopted, with smiling, helpful faces.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2016 10:55:10 AM

The Tulip Legacy and Queen Julianna.

http://tulipfestival.ca/about/tulip-legacy/

Wiki - "Canada and the Netherlands have a special relationship resulting from actions during World War II when Canadian forces led the liberation of the Netherlands and hosted the Dutch Royal Family in exile. The special relationship is still visible as of 2015, with the Canadian government describing the Netherlands as "one of Canada's most significant trade, investment and innovation partners." In part, the Canadian Tulip Festival still commemorates this relationship." I forget which city in the Netherlands that Burlington partners with. Edited - I googled - https://www.burlington.ca/en/your-city/Apeldoorn-The-Netherlands.asp

We have two Dutch families who own condos where we live and we are good friends with both. The Dutch are known for their farming, for being industrious, and for being great people. The one couple here owned a flower shop before retirement.

Ottawa has many visitors each spring for the Tulip Festival showcasing over a million tulip bulbs.

My husband and I just decided to get approval to plant this new tulip variety in the gardens all around our condo. The beautification committee usually just does summer flowers.
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2016 11:13:18 AM

Ottawa's Tulip Festival each spring. I had three other beautiful pix, one showing the river too, but I didn't know how to size them smaller.

[image not available]

[image not available]

[image not available]
ellana
Posted: Saturday, September 3, 2016 1:16:12 PM

Neurons: 127,308
I lived in Ottawa for 10 years, many years ago, and have fond memories of the fabulous display of tulips every spring. Thank you Holland!! And I agree Hope, the Dutch are lovely people.