The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Solidarity in times of extremism Options
Lotje1000
Posted: Monday, August 1, 2016 2:50:15 AM

Neurons: 659,163
In France and Italy, Muslims have gone to catholic mass yesterday to express their solidarity.

Quote:
French television broadcast scenes of interfaith solidarity from all around France, with Muslim women in headscarves and Jewish men in kippot crowding the front rows of Catholic cathedrals in Lille, Calais or the Basilica of St. Denis, the traditional resting place of French royalty.

In doing so, they protest the murders and acts of terrorism we've all been confronted with time and time again recently.

Quote:
"These people are tainting our religion and it is terrible to know that many people consider all Muslim terrorists. That is not the case," El Balazi said. "Religion is one thing. Another is the behavior of Muslims who don't represent us."

Absinthius
Posted: Monday, August 1, 2016 7:29:15 AM

Neurons: 25,950
What peaks my interest in many of these initiatives is on which part of the statements the spokespeople put their emphasis. Many of muslim spokespeople I have seen or heard start by saying how horrible it is that terrorism paints all other muslims in a bad light. Condemning the ideology of the terrorists seems to take second place if mentioned at all. I notice the same tendency whenever this topic comes up in conversations outside of the media.

This has bothered me a great deal and as a result I avoid the topic as much as possible lately. I'm curious as to whether others here have noticed similar tendencies.