The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

A quote by Tao Tzu Options
Ebenezer Son
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 10:56:06 AM

Neurons: 3,278
Good day everyone.
This says Lao Tzu "At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want"

How could one gets to the center of his very being or body in order to know who he/she is, and as well know what he/she wants?

Thank you
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 12:12:39 PM

Neurons: 223,039
Hello Ebenezer.

Lao Tzu does not mention your body at all.

It is 'at the centre of your being'.

Basically, you know.

The trick (not very easy, I know) is to ignore all the ideas of "I should want this or that" and "my mother would want me to be like this or that" or "society expects . . ." or "the bible says . . ."

Forget all those, and you know.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, July 8, 2016 2:50:48 PM

Neurons: 66,559
Ebenezer Son wrote:
Good day everyone.
This says Lao Tzu "At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want"

How could one gets to the center of his very being or body in order to know who he/she is, and as well know what he/she wants?

Thank you

This is how I do it. If you look at my avatar, you will see a white circle in the middle, with a dot in the center of that circle. I made this as a representation of myself, and my philosophy, which is based in original Taoism.

The white circle represents my body, the dot, my center. The black and white is all that encircles me in life. But it does not enter into me. It only surrounds me. When I am relaxed and centered, I move through the troubles of life as I move through the air that surrounds me.

How to practice:
Go to a quiet place and sit down. Close your eyes, or leave them open, as you wish. Focus on allowing everything around you to melt away and disappear from conscious attention. Only you remain. You are a life-force, or spirit, within a body. You are not a race, color, creed, or religion. You are neither male, not female, simply a part of the life-force of the universe. Focus on sensing, on being, that part of the life-force/spirit.

Do not strive to BE anything, to think anything, simply BE. Be in the moment, and then be in the next moment, and then the next. Listen to your breathing, your heart beat. Relax. Allow your thoughts to run free, both positive and negative. Simply let them come, reveal themselves, run their course, and then let them drift away. Hold on to none of them. Simply observe them as they pass, as you would wisps in a dream.

Allow your mind to go where it will. Let it expand to the limits of the universe if it desires to do so. Enjoy the freedom of being disconnected from fears and worries. Permit your spirit to heal itself by purging so much of what you are holding within. When you do this, you will have found your center. You will have found “you”. And the only thing you will likely want is to remain in that relaxed and peaceful state. And with practice, you will be able to do so more and more.
Ebenezer Son
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 5:29:48 AM

Neurons: 3,278
These are the exact answers I need!
@ Foundit, after I've gone through all these meditative processes, how would I know "what I want" and " who am I"?
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:28:00 AM

Ebenezer Son wrote:
These are the exact answers I need!
@ Foundit, after I've gone through all these meditative processes, how would I know "what I want" and " who am I"?

The answers don't usually come all at once, but through many instances of meditation and increasing self-awareness.

You learn you are a product of your experiences, your culture, your religious training, etc., and how well you have adopted them into the person you are. With time and exploration of all these, through the meditative process, you will decide which of them to hold, and which to let go free. You may also adopt a completely different way of looking at life and responding to it. That choice is up to you. You have started on a path. As your body and mind grew in stages, so will your meditative journey arrive in stages. You have many years yet to reach your destination. It cannot be rushed. The journey takes a lifetime.
leonAzul
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 10:17:33 PM

Neurons: 30,791
Ebenezer Son wrote:
Good day everyone.

Such a sentence has never been attributed to Lao Tzu, yet it is very much in the spirit of of some of his commentators and, as FounDit has explained, the Taoist tradition as it has evolved.

I would interpret this as a skeptical and pragmatic position. Any useful knowledge begins with the immediate and extends from there. It begins with knowledge of self, and extends from there to others and the rest of reality.

I realize this is just a slightly skewed restatement of what FounDit has said. I offer it as a demonstration that precisely because we each have different perspectives we each must follow different routes to travel on the fundamentally enduring path that is the way of nature.

Maybe some day, FounDit, we could meet, "draw silk", and "push hands".

8^)
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 10:06:45 AM

leonAzul wrote:

Maybe some day, FounDit, we could meet, "draw silk", and "push hands".

8^)

That would be an honor and a pleasure.