The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Looking for a Hebrew expression Options
JiggyNL
Posted: Saturday, September 11, 2010 5:05:44 PM

Neurons: 3
Hello to all and thank you for taking the time to read this post. I came to this forum hoping to find some people that would be willing to help me with a translation.

I am going to give a Jewish person a gift that I would like to have engraved. Since the Hebrew language has a special meaning to her I really need it to be correct so hopefully there is someone here that would like to assist.

I do not have a set sentence in mind because often any language has very specific expressions that can not be translated into another language word for word. So perhaps you might have some suggestions for a fitting Hebrew expression that might fit the message I'd like to deliver?

I'd like to say something like the examples below. I'll give a couple to set a better field of reference for you:
- Keep dreaming
- Never give up on your dreams
- Believe in your dreams and one day they'll come true
- Never settle for less that what you dream of

So basically I'm looking for some kind of motivational Hebrew expression to remind this person that dreams really do come true, if you have a little faith in it.

Thank you so much for your help, it means a great deal to me.
BarDor
Posted: Sunday, October 9, 2011 6:31:12 PM

Neurons: 6
I'll give this a try.

I would say that depending on whether your friend is a religious or non religious will make a difference in her appreciating what you write.

If you Jewish friend has a belief in G-d as a religious Jew would then your best source is always tehilim or Psalms as written by King David in which case you might say something like
Hashen yemale et sh'aylat libeich ( for a woman ) or leibecha (for a man) translated "May G-d grant you the yearning s of your heart"

If your friend leans more toward the secular and away from a religious orientation then you would say something like "tamshichi(f) tamshich (m) lichlom ad sheyikaimu" This is basically a translation of your sentiment meaning "Continue dreaming until they are fulfilled"

disclaimers. (a) I do not know if there is an apt idiomatic expression that says what you want more in a more Hebrew culturally authentic way.Like I say this is simply an accurate translation of your sentiment.
and
(b)Your message will be much more effective spelled correctly in Hebrew characters which I do not have the ability to demonstrate with my keyboard. I hope that helps.

Bar
jacsgud
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 4:07:37 AM

Hi - can anyone help me with the following translation to Hebrew?

Helpful or Unhelpful?

Thanks, I need it asap.
MiTziGo
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 4:28:17 AM

Neurons: 6,142
Welcome to the forums jacsgud. For future reference, your best chance of getting answers to a question is to start a new thread for that specific topic rather than tag it on the end of an existing one.

Now, to the topic at hand:
I'm not an expert, nor am I fluent or a native speaker, however I did study Hebrew for a number of years in school. This is how I would translate "Helpful or Unhelpful?" Hopefully, a native speaker will pop in and either verify this or give you a better answer, but in the meantime, I hope this helps.

?מועיל או לא מועיל
Transliterated: Moweel oh low moweel?
מועיל = helpful
או = or
לא = no/not
מועיל = helpful

If you wanted it in more of a complete/proper sentence question form, you could say:

?האם זה/זאת מועיל או לא מועיל
Transliterated: Haeem zeh/zote moweel oh low moweel?
האם = is
זה = this (masculine, singular)
זאת = this (feminine, singular)
מועיל = helpful
או = or
לא = no/not
מועיל = helpful
jacsgud
Posted: Friday, December 28, 2012 6:54:23 AM

Thank you so much!