The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

deprecatory Options
Daemon
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 90,015
deprecatory

(adjective) Tending to diminish or disparage.

Synonyms: belittling, slighting

Usage: He depresses me by his abject submission and deprecatory self-abasement when he fears he has gone too far.
MTC
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:27:43 AM

Neurons: 8,606
The tranquility of our forum was recently shattered by a White Supremacist who made deprecatory remarks about people of color.
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:32:02 PM

Neurons: 63,637
MTC wrote:
The tranquility of our forum was recently shattered by a White Supremacist who made deprecatory remarks about people of color.

I don't recall it precisely that way.

As I recall, he made no deprecatory remarks about people of color; rather, he lauded the Caucasian as being superior in intellect compared to others of color.

'Tis a fine line, I know, but I do not want to see the man accused of something he did not do. Glass houses and all that.

Am I wrong?

jcbarros
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 9:01:23 PM

Neurons: 9,052
What color?
MTC
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:22:58 PM

Neurons: 8,606
In reply to FounDit, TFD defines "deprecatory" as follows:

Adj. 1. deprecatory - tending to diminish or disparage; "belittling comments"; "managed a deprecating smile at the compliment"; "deprecatory remarks about the book"; "a slighting remark"
belittling, deprecating, deprecative, slighting, depreciative, depreciatory
uncomplimentary - tending to (or intended to) detract or disparage

While I appreciate your point that he did not employ express racial epithets, as you say "he lauded the Caucasian as being superior in intellect compared to others of color." The undeniable implication is that "sub-Saharan Africans" (one of several expressions he used) are inferior in intellect to "White Europeans." (another of his expressions) They are less. They are "belittled." They are "diminished."

I think his deprecatory meaning is quite clear, and that his remarks are definitely "deprecatory." Implication and innuendo are often more powerful than express language.

Our discussion highlights one of the downsides of Censorship. Thanks to TFD's editorial decision to completely delete the thread we must rely on our memories to reconstruct the factual record. What, exactly did he say? Did it qualify as "Hate Speech" even though it did not contain racial epithets? Others who did not read the exchange before it was summarily yanked may find it difficult to judge absent a written record.

Let's give the devil his due, but no more. What do you think?

HWNN1961
Posted: Sunday, January 15, 2012 10:37:19 PM

Neurons: 9,763
FounDit wrote:
MTC wrote:

I don't recall it precisely that way.

As I recall, he made no deprecatory remarks about people of color; rather, he lauded the Caucasian as being superior in intellect compared to others of color.

'Tis a fine line, I know, but I do not want to see the man accused of something he did not do. Glass houses and all that.

Am I wrong?

Umm...after making such an inflammatory racist statement, proving the point MTC made. Wow, how do you miss that?
FounDit
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2012 11:26:59 AM

Neurons: 63,637

@ MTC

You are correct in that he used innuendo and implication. This was my point, that we be accurate in our description of what he did, so as not to find ourselves guilty of the very thing we accuse him of doing, i.e., making false accusations.

Also true is the fact that we now have to rely on memory, and it is uncertain the more time passes.

It now appears I can not so much as suggest accuracy in our statements without being accused of posting inflammatory racist comments myself. Perhaps it is best that it ended as it did. Zen and all that. Peace.