The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

palmist Options
Daemon
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 90,015
palmist

(noun) Fortuneteller who predicts your future by the lines on your palms.

Synonyms: chiromancer

Usage: The palmist's dire predictions weighed heavily on Sally.
MTC
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 9:59:57 PM

Neurons: 8,606
Caravaggio's, The Fortune Teller, available here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Michelangelo_Caravaggio_031.jpg) reveals a lot about palmistry and human psychology. On the surface the painting shows an attractive female fortune teller (palmist) reading the fortune of an aristocratic male youth who with apparent wide-eyed innocence absorbs what the palmist is telling him. Notice how the light source from the left illuminates the youth's face, but leaves the fortune teller's face in partial shadow. She can see him clearly, but he cannot see her or her motives as well. By using the same colors in their headdresses, with painterly language Caravaggio implies the fortune teller reads or understands the youth's thoughts. His hat surrounds his head and his cape envelopes his body in a ring of darkness suggesting ignorance. At the focal center of the painting where all lines converge, she delicately holds his willingly ungloved and unprotected right hand and wrist in both of hers in a seductive, sexually suggestive manner. We the viewers can feel her delicate touch and are seduced by Caravaggio's art into joining the experience as empathetic participants. In fact, the painting is all about the complex psychology of seduction. It cannot be reduced to a trite allegory of experience overcoming youth, or evil vanquishing good. On some level the youth is aware of and complicit in his seduction. He returns the fortune teller's knowing gaze. Notice how the feather in his hat leans toward her. Her cheek slightly reddens in response. Patterns of darkness and light throughout the painting connote moral ambiguity and uncertainty. Overall, the light and dark colors of the two figures are the same, but in complementary proportions, suggesting that together they make a whole. Neither can exist without the other, seducer and seduced, women and men, artists and audiences.
HWNN1961
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:17:24 PM

Neurons: 9,763
I wish to be a palmist to this degree:

That you might find me on a tropical isle, seated in the shade of palms along an unspoiled shore.

The rest is nonsense.
Tovarish
Posted: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 10:36:14 PM

Neurons: 39,933
The jury is out with me.

I dont know one way or the other.

But I do know its not so long ago that all Chinese Medicine was scoffed at, acupunture was thaught to be snake oil.

Sounds like you are going on a trip to Australia HWNN.