The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

would you be able to check a mini essay for me? Options
koalachan
Posted: Monday, August 1, 2011 8:21:07 AM

Hello all English teachers,

I really hope I have posted on the right thread. Would you all be able to proof read the statement below for me? Thank you very much in advance.

We are very proud to be partner with Mr Ken, a Japanese famous photographer, to distribute his camera in Iceland.

Mr Ken is a well known professional photographer for his ability to shoot anything his clients want , hence being call a multishooting photographer in Japan. He is famous as a film camera lover who is skillful in camera restoration particular in Ricoh Auto Half. Because of this passion, he published two books to share his immense knowledge of these cameres and being interview by NHK TV in 2010. The best is , some of the photos in his book is taken in Iceland !! . Mr Ken has told me personally that he likes Iceland a lot.

Mr Ken started working at Yashica after he graduateed from Tokyo
Photography College in 1967, and moved on to Magazinehouse Co Ltd. as fashion photographer on 1969 until 2003. Mr Ken has also been involved in photographing many famous actresses such as Anita Briem.

Mr Ken is also famous with his DIGITAL Ricoh Auto Half. Yes, you didn't get me wrong, it's a DIGITAL which was handmade by Mr Ken . These cameras are made by Mr Ken himself. The camera is a vintage body from 1960 and embedded with a Digital body. All these cameras come in very nice color and all are made by Mr Ken himself.

almostfreebird
Posted: Monday, August 1, 2011 8:38:12 AM

Neurons: 7,024
I just wondered, who is Mr.Ken?

As far as I know, the famous photographer whose name is Ken
is Domon Ken. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Domon

He died in 1990.

koalachan
Posted: Monday, August 1, 2011 11:53:24 AM

Hi, the above name is just fictional. Sorry for the confusion.
Romany
Posted: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 1:19:18 AM

Neurons: 53,380
koalachan - are you still wanting advice on this? I see it was a few days ago? However:-

"We are proud to announce our partnership with Japanese photographer Ken Whatsit (putting the full name)for the distibution of his cameras (I presume you are distributing more than one?) in Iceland. (I wouldn't use the word 'famous'. If he is, they will know him.)

Ken (use last name only: it is usual for those who have reached the top of their profession)is described as a professional multi-shooting photographer in Japan and is renowned for his ability to to transverse genre and style in the production of excellent quality for his clients. (Saying he shoots anything for his clients could lead to great confusion. He is not, I would imagine, a hit-man on the side!)

Ken's fame also stems from his expertise with film cameras, and for his restoration work - particularly in respect of the Ricoh Auto Half. He has published two iconic(well, I'm guessing that if he is as skilled and famous as stated in this arena the books would be iconic?) books on film cameras, and was interviewed on NHK TV in 2010.

Of particular interest is the fact that his books feature photos that were taken in Iceland - a country Ken has personally confided that he likes very much."

Photography is not my field, but is the phrase "film-cameras' correct, or a direct translation? All non-digital cameras, strictly-speaking, are "film cameras" i.e. they use film. The phrase I am more familiar with is "movie-camera". However, as I said, I am out of my genre here.
intelfam
Posted: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 5:58:21 AM

Neurons: 3,284
Hi Romany

One tends to say "film" rather than "film cameras" nowadays, cameras using film are generally (in BE) referred to by their film size e.g., 35mm or medium format or other more specific terms. Although digital cameras are referred to as just that! If one is talking about a photographers expertise, one usually just says film or digital. "He exhibited pictures showing his skill in both film and digital (photography - although this is usually missed out)"

I must say "multi-shooting" is a completely foreign expression to me. One talks of multi-skilled (or multi-talented) when referring to someone who can do more than one thing, but that is a general expression that could be applied to photography as to anything.

I stumbled on "personally confided" - sounds like the author has betrayed a secret given to her/him personally. Can't think of an alternative at the moment....

I am also struggling with ".....to transverse genre and style in ....." I feel that I would use a more everyday expression like "cut across the dictates of genre and style" or maybe "straddle the worlds of..." or just " he has mastered the variety of genre and style.."
I am struggling here, as one needs to know how good he really is before saying either "he can do anything well" or if he is oblivious to rules and so produces work that ignores the rules of genre...."

leonAzul
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2011 4:41:19 AM

Neurons: 30,576
I would be very annoyed if I were to read anything that even remotely looked like this on eBay within the next month or so.