The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Freedom of expression - why is Arundhati Roy asked to withdraw her statement? Options
abcxyz
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 8:59:22 AM

Neurons: 3,200
Quite a hoopla has been created after Arundhati Roy's comment "Kashmir has never been an integral part of India. It is a historical fact. Even the Indian government has accepted this.". A senior congress leader has asked Arundhati Roy to withdraw her comment. He says, "She must withdraw her statement which is contrary to historical facts and could mislead the nation as well as the international community."
Look at his remark. He does not counter Roy's comment with facts and prove her wrong. Instead, he wants her to withdraw her comment EVEN IF she believes it to be true. Kashmir is a disputed region. Roy's opinion is nothing new and not one which can be disproved beyond reasonable doubt.
How long is the wait until truth and freedom of expression are valued over national interest?
Atiya
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:04:42 AM

Neurons: 6,093
I always wonder about this, India was under Mughals and the British took it after that and then there was partition. This is what I know, please correct me if I am wrong.
Now Kashmir was under Mughals this I know because I have seen places which has Shahjahan's name on it, like the Pari Mahal. So, when was Kashmir not part of India ?

abcxyz
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 9:22:00 AM

Neurons: 3,200
Atiya wrote:
I always wonder about this, India was under Mughals and the British took it after that and then there was partition. This is what I know, please correct me if I am wrong.
Now Kashmir was under Mughals this I know because I have seen places which has Shahjahan's name on it, like the Pari Mahal. So, when was Kashmir not part of India ?

I'm not the best person to answer this, but after Aurangzeb the Mughal empire started to crumble. Until 1707, the empire included part of Kashmir as shown in the map. Note that it included Pakistan too.

[image not available]

Before the British there was no fixed land which could be called India. Different empires existed in different parts of what we now call India. I think that is one of the reasons why it is difficult to call Kashmir part of India.