mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
react lightly/calmly Options
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2021 7:19:12 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/21/2015
Posts: 1,750
Neurons: 19,074
I react lightly/calmly to his criticism.

Correct?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2021 8:08:58 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 47,035
Neurons: 665,498
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Calmly sounds better.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2021 10:56:32 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 16,672
Neurons: 80,501
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
I react lightly/calmly to his criticism.

Correct?


And it should be "reacted" since his criticism has already occurred.

You could say, "I react calmly to criticism" because you are describing state of mind or your planned behavior but not the act of being criticized.

You can also use it for future, as in, "I will/would react calmly to his criticism". It isn't used as you have it here.
thar
Posted: Thursday, November 25, 2021 11:22:10 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/8/2010
Posts: 25,494
Neurons: 103,465
yes, but using those words would either be commentating on your own life (a bit odd) or talking in the historical present (a common informal style). But not to be attempted at home!
Ivan Fadeev
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2021 12:39:54 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 2/21/2015
Posts: 1,750
Neurons: 19,074
FounDit wrote:
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
I react lightly/calmly to his criticism.

Correct?


And it should be "reacted" since his criticism has already occurred.

You could say, "I react calmly to criticism" because you are describing state of mind or your planned behavior but not the act of being criticized.

You can also use it for future, as in, "I will/would react calmly to his criticism". It isn't used as you have it here.


Why do you say that it is necessary an action in the past? Maybe he criticizes me regularly.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2021 12:46:19 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 47,035
Neurons: 665,498
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
As I said,
"I react calmly to his criticism" seems fine.
Wang Yirun (Gesps)
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2021 2:47:03 AM

Rank: Member

Joined: 10/13/2021
Posts: 68
Neurons: 5,087
Location: Singapore, Singapore
Calmly semms to be more fluent
FounDit
Posted: Friday, November 26, 2021 10:44:16 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/19/2011
Posts: 16,672
Neurons: 80,501
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
FounDit wrote:
Ivan Fadeev wrote:
I react lightly/calmly to his criticism.

Correct?


And it should be "reacted" since his criticism has already occurred.

You could say, "I react calmly to criticism" because you are describing state of mind or your planned behavior but not the act of being criticized.

You can also use it for future, as in, "I will/would react calmly to his criticism". It isn't used as you have it here.


Why do you say that it is necessary an action in the past? Maybe he criticizes me regularly.


Ah, I see the problem. I read your original post as reporting what you did when you were criticized in the past. That would be "reacted". However, if you are saying this is how you react each time you receive criticism, then saying, "I react calmly" works fine. I didn't consider that aspect in my first response.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.