mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Ambiguous? Options
Turnpike
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 6:44:14 AM

Neurons: 8,126

"Residues from bauxite processing contain heavy metals that are present as contaminants, caustic byproducts (sodium hydroxide is added during processing to extract the aluminum metal), and radioactive waste."

That is the sentence.

Does this say: Residues from bauxite processing contain heavy metals that are present as contaminants, AS caustic byproducts
(sodium hydroxide is added during processing to extract the aluminum metal), and AS radioactive waste.
So, residues contain heavy metals and these heavy metals are in the form of 1) contaminats 2) caustic byproducts and 3) radioactive waste.

Is that correct?

Or;

"Residues from bauxite processing contain heavy metals that are present as contaminants. They also contain caustic byproducts (sodium hydroxide is added during processing to extract the aluminum metal), and they also contain radioactive waste."

thar
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 7:45:17 AM

Neurons: 103,464
It is badly written and punctuated. Yes, it is ambiguous, except that a heavy metal cannot be a caustic by-product. It can be in a caustic by-product. But not be one.

"Residues from bauxite processing contain
heavy metals that are present as contaminants,
caustic byproducts (sodium hydroxide is added during processing to extract the aluminum metal),
and radioactive waste."

All badly-written bollocks.
My opinion only.

Residue does not contain contaminants. The ore contains contaminants that you have to remove, but the residue includes the contaminants that you have removed during processing. They do not contaminate the residue!

If there is sodium hydroxide present, that is not a by-product. It was added deliberately. There are other caustic chemicals produced during the process, and these are by-products. These are not heavy metals, so they have to be a separate item on the list.

"radioactive waste" normally means waste from radioactive processing. This waste is the normal radioactive heavy metals (and their decay products) from the rock, just more concentrated in the residue than it was in the original rock. But the way that sentence is written it does not sound like that, to a lay person, I think.

So, anyway, nasty in lots of ways.
Especially if your holding ponds have no maintenance, barely any protective barriers, no failsafe systems and you don't bother to inform anybody that there has been a spill.
Angry, moi?

Turnpike
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 7:53:20 AM

So, if you were the writer, how would you make the sentence?

thar wrote:
It is badly written and punctuated.

"Residues from bauxite processing contain
heavy metals that are present as contaminants,
caustic byproducts (sodium hydroxide is added
during processing to extract the aluminum metal),
and radioactive waste."

Bollocks. The use of terminology does not sound right, to me.
My opinion only.

Residue does not contain contaminants. The ore contains contaminants that you have to remove, but the residue includes the contaminants that you have removed during processing. They do not contaminate the residue!

If there is sodium hydroxide present, that is not a by-product. It was added deliberately. There are other caustic chemicals produced during the process, and these are by-products.

"radioactive waste" normally means waste from radioactive processing. This waste is the normal radioactive heavy metals (and their decay products) from the rock, just more concentrated in the residue than it was in the original rock. But the way that sentence is written it does not sound like that, to a lay person, I think.

But it can't m,ea

thar
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 8:02:27 AM

I would be more specific as to what categories of hazardous waste I was describing.

Heavy metals (toxic)
Caustic chemicals (corrosive, highly alkaline)
radioactive material (radioactive)

The term 'contaminants' adds nothing. If someone wants to process the waste further to extract those metals, they are not contaminants any more. A "contaminant" is something you don't want in that place, because it is causing a problem -eg it will contaminate the local water table. It has context.
The explanation of the sodium hydroxide is not particularly necessary at that point.
the radioactive materials are just the normal stuff, concentrated by removal of some ore. They have not been produced by the processing. Calling it radioactive waste is misleading.

Residue is what is left behind. That is not the same as processing waste, which includes the chemicals you added.

Keep it simple
Waste from bauxite processing contains heavy metals, caustic chemicals and radioactive material.

It is mostly just iron-rich heavy mud, which is the biggest killer. But that is an engineering issue, not a contamination removal issue.
Turnpike
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 9:42:03 AM

Thank you Thar, you are so helpful!
Are you a chemist, by the way?

thar wrote:
I would be more specific as to what categories of hazardous waste I was describing.

Heavy metals (toxic)
Caustic chemicals (corrosive, highly alkaline)
radioactive material (radioactive)

The term 'contaminants' adds nothing. If someone wants to process the waste further to extract those metals, they are not contaminants any more. A "contaminant" is something you don't want in that place, because it is causing a problem -eg it will contaminate the local water table. It has context.
The explanation of the sodium hydroxide is not particularly necessary at that point.
the radioactive materials are just the normal stuff, concentrated by removal of some ore. They have not been produced by the processing. Calling it radioactive waste is misleading.

Residue is what is left behind. That is not the same as processing waste, which includes the chemicals you added.

Keep it simple
Waste from bauxite processing contains heavy metals, caustic chemicals and radioactive material.

It is mostly just iron-rich heavy mud, which is the biggest killer. But that is an engineering issue, not a contamination removal issue.
thar
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 10:02:52 AM

Currently chemist by way of geologist.
So I am a chemist who knows a bit about some chemical things and not much about others! Whistle
Turnpike
Posted: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 10:08:00 AM

thar wrote:
Currently chemist by way of geologist.
So I am a chemist who knows a bit about some chemical things and not much about others! Whistle

And you are also a linguaphile. :)