mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
a/the common room, serve/serves him right Options
Penz
Posted: Saturday, July 24, 2021 5:41:34 AM

Neurons: 4,424
All these excerpts are from the book
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Quote:
He had awoken to find the dormitory deserted, dressed and gone down the spiral staircase to a common room that was completely empty except for Ron....

The thing is, there was only one common room for them, so it should have been "..the common room.."

Quote:
The Dementors will catch Black and he'll go back to Azkaban and- and- and serve him right.

Does "the Dementors" modifies "serve him right"?

Or is it the normal interjection, however, that would generally be "serves him right"?

Quote:
Malfoy's just hoping you'll get yourself killed before he has to play you at Quidditch.

Why not "play against/with"?
What's the difference?

Quote:
you yellow-bellied mongrels!

I guess mongrel means "a person of mixed descent". In Harry Potter, there is a thing where people abuse those who are mixed bloods. But here, Ron is a pure blood.
Mind you, the speaker is an ancient knight.

Quote:
each tree smattered with silver.

The silver is for the snow.
Though smatter doesn't mean "covered with"?

Quote:
...and he flung himself onto Harry's neck.

Hagrid is insanely large and I can't imagine one could throw oneself onto another's neck?

...who each seized Hagrid under an arm and heaved him (Hagrid), Harry helping, back into the cabin.
seize under an arm?

Quote:
Hagrid's sobs redoubled,...

Do "doubled" and "redoubled" mean the same thing as Hagrid hadn't subdued himself at all?

Quote:
They had never seen eye tk eye with Hagrid about what what he called 'interesting creatures' and other people called "teriifying monsyers'. On the otger hand, there didn't seem to be any particular harm in Buckbeak. In fact, by Hagrid's unsual standards, he was positively cute.

On the other hand?
I reckon Buckbeak WAS dangerous. Is the author implying he wasn't dangerous?

Quote:
Hagrid drew his finger swiftly accross his throat.

What does this mean?

Quote:
I'm sure I've read about a case of Hippogriff-baiting..

What does this mean?

I would be truly grateful for your answers.
Thank you.
Penz
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2021 12:14:53 AM

I would be so grateful if you answered.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2021 5:15:38 AM

Neurons: 18,195
Penz wrote:
All these excerpts are from the book
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
Quote:
He had awoken to find the dormitory deserted, dressed and gone down the spiral staircase to a common room that was completely empty except for Ron....

The thing is, there was only one common room for them, so it should have been "..the common room.."

Quote:
The Dementors will catch Black and he'll go back to Azkaban and- and- and serve him right.

Does "the Dementors" modifies "serve him right"?

Or is it the normal interjection, however, that would generally be "serves him right"?

Quote:
Malfoy's just hoping you'll get yourself killed before he has to play you at Quidditch.

Why not "play against/with"?
What's the difference?

Quote:
you yellow-bellied mongrels!

I guess mongrel means "a person of mixed descent". In Harry Potter, there is a thing where people abuse those who are mixed bloods. But here, Ron is a pure blood.
Mind you, the speaker is an ancient knight.
Here it is not referring to mixed blood but to the person being a canine, you cur, you hound, you dog are all similar insults.

Quote:
each tree smattered with silver.

The silver is for the snow.
Though smatter doesn't mean "covered with"?
Yes and the trees were not covered with snow, they had a lighter coating.

You can see some snow, but also some of the tree still.

Quote:
...and he flung himself onto Harry's neck.

Hagrid is insanely large and I can't imagine one could throw oneself onto another's neck?
He hugged Harry by folding his arms around his neck, of course Hagrid had to be careful not to squeeze too hard.

...who each seized Hagrid under an arm and heaved him (Hagrid), Harry helping, back into the cabin.
seize under an arm?
By supporting Hagrid using their body under his arm like a crutch. Watch this video from the 1992 Olympic Games. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYQ2IyMuPes

Quote:

Do "doubled" and "redoubled" mean the same thing as Hagrid hadn't subdued himself at all?

Quote:
They had never seen eye tk eye with Hagrid about what what he called 'interesting creatures' and other people called "teriifying monsyers'. On the otger hand, there didn't seem to be any particular harm in Buckbeak. In fact, by Hagrid's unsual standards, he was positively cute.

On the other hand?
I reckon Buckbeak WAS dangerous. Is the author implying he wasn't dangerous?
Harry is debating the fact in his own mind many of Hagrid creatures are dangerous, but Buckbeak didn’t seem so.
One the other hand, imagine a weigh scale with 2 pans you put weights in one and food say rice in the other and they tip or balance as the weight differ. Then imagine your hands as the pans of that scale. In this case there is a certain amount of weight given to the fact that most of Hagrid animals are dangerous
, but in the other side Buckbeak seems okay.

Quote:
Hagrid drew his finger swiftly accross his throat.

What does this mean?
It is a sign for having your throat slit, Buckbeak was destined to be slaughtered.
Quote:
I'm sure I've read about a case of Hippogriff-baiting..

What does this mean?
Hippogriff-baiting, presumably a blood sport like bull-baiting or bear-baiting where dogs are set on the larger animal try to kill it. Both are illegal in the UK and have been for many years.

I would be truly grateful for your answers.
Thank you.
Penz
Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2021 6:48:03 AM

Thank you, though other questions?
Bathcoup
Posted: Saturday, September 4, 2021 3:53:50 PM

Neurons: 2,315
Quote:

==========================
No, "redoubled" = four times the original amount.