mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
over, mind you behave Options
Penz
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 4:38:33 AM

Rank: Member

Joined: 2/26/2021
Posts: 442
Neurons: 3,263
All these excerpts are from "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban".

Harry and his friends are talking about a secret passageway.
Quote:
And we don't reckon anyone's ever used this one, because the Whomping Willow's planted right over the entrance.

What does "over" mean?
I guess the opening was from the trunk.


Quote:
'So, young Harry,' said Fred, in an uncanny impersonation of Percy, 'mind you behave yourself.


Does it mean "mind you (drawing attention), behave yourself" or something else?
What does mind modifies and mean?


Quote:
..something Harry had once heard Mr Weasely say came floating out of his memory.

I have a general idea of what this mean, however, what does exactly "floating out" imply here?


Harry has a map on which he can see everybody moving as tiny ink dots.
Quote:
He pulled out the map again and saw, to his astonishment, that a new ink figure had appeared upon it, labelled Harry Potter. .......His little ink self appeared to be tapping the witch with his minute wand.........
The tiniest speech bubble had appeared next to his figure.

I don't think "figure" would mean "a ink dot" here considering it was tapping his wand?

Quote:
Ice Mice ('hear your teeth chatter and squeak!), peppermint creams shaped kike toads..........and exploding bonbons.

Teeth can't squeak even with the magic?
Difference between peppermint creams and bonbons as in the dictionary both of them have the same defintion?

Quote:
There were shelves upon shelves of the most succulent-looking sweets imaginable. Creamy chunks of nougat, shimmering pink squares of coconut ice, fat, honey-coloured toffees;

Is a shelf only "a slab of wood" or "many slabs of wood".
And does "shelves" mean "two or more slabs of wood"?


What does fat mean here?

Quote:
'He can't be getting in through a passage.
...-it's really hard to see the entrance to it down in the cellar- so unless he knew it was there-'

Why not "know" instead of "knew" as it seems more appropriate here?



Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 5:00:45 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 3/30/2016
Posts: 2,702
Neurons: 17,154
Location: Luton, England, United Kingdom
Penz wrote:
All these excerpts are from "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban".

Harry and his friends are talking about a secret passageway.
Quote:
And we don't reckon anyone's ever used this one, because the Whomping Willow's planted right over the entrance.

What does "over" mean?
I guess the opening was from the trunk.
The Whomping Willow had grown on top of where the entrance to the passage was. In fact in the Harry Potter stories it was planted there deliberately to hide and protect the entrance. The opening was between its roots.

Quote:
'So, young Harry,' said Fred, in an uncanny impersonation of Percy, 'mind you behave yourself.


Does it mean "mind you (drawing attention), behave yourself" or something else?
What does mind modifies and mean?

Mind you here means, be careful to or I am warning you to.

Quote:
..something Harry had once heard Mr Weasely say came floating out of his memory.

I have a general idea of what this mean, however, what does exactly "floating out" imply here?
Information came into Harrys’ mind without him actively trying to remember it. It just came to him out of nowhere.

Harry has a map on which he can see everybody moving as tiny ink dots.
Quote:
He pulled out the map again and saw, to his astonishment, that a new ink figure had appeared upon it, labelled Harry Potter. .......His little ink self appeared to be tapping the witch with his minute wand.........
The tiniest speech bubble had appeared next to his figure.

I don't think "figure" would mean "a ink dot" here considering it was tapping his wand?
Its a magic map in a children’s book, in this case yes the ink dot was a little figure of Harry Potter with his wand.


Quote:
There were shelves upon shelves of the most succulent-looking sweets imaginable. Creamy chunks of nougat, shimmering pink squares of coconut ice, fat, honey-coloured toffees;

Is a shelf only "a slab of wood" or "many slabs of wood".
And does "shelves" mean "two or more slabs of wood"?

A shelf is a single length of wood, shelves is the plural form.


What does fat mean here?
Big, large toffees that looked generously proportioned.

Quote:
'He can't be getting in through a passage.
...-it's really hard to see the entrance to it down in the cellar- so unless he knew it was there-'

Why not "know" instead of "knew" as it seems more appropriate here?


Knew is the past simple of know, who ever used the entrance did so in the past and Harry has just found out so knew is appropriate.
Penz
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 5:55:28 AM

Rank: Member

Joined: 2/26/2021
Posts: 442
Neurons: 3,263
Thank you. Though isn't "mind" there alone like "mind, you behave yourself"?
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 6:02:04 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 44,500
Neurons: 633,797
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
No. "Mind you" is the idiom.

mind you


A phrase used to indicate that someone must consider or pay attention to a particular piece of information.
They are expensive, mind you, but the quality of their craftsmanship is worth the extra price. They can certainly afford to give some of their profits back to their employees, mind you.
Penz
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 6:08:09 AM

Rank: Member

Joined: 2/26/2021
Posts: 442
Neurons: 3,263
Then why the author didn't use a comma after mind you if it is an idiom?

And there is one more question above. Please answer that.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 6:21:24 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 44,500
Neurons: 633,797
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
Mind you that it depends on the sentence if that idiom requires commas or not.
Audiendus
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 9:11:33 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 7,494
Neurons: 1,383,972
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
No. "Mind you" is the idiom.

mind you


A phrase used to indicate that someone must consider or pay attention to a particular piece of information.
They are expensive, mind you, but the quality of their craftsmanship is worth the extra price. They can certainly afford to give some of their profits back to their employees, mind you.

I disagree here. I don't think this is the idiom "mind you". I think "Mind you behave yourself" means "Mind [= take care] that you behave yourself".

The grammar is different:

They are expensive, mind you. "You" is the subject of "mind". (We don't normally use a subject pronoun with the imperative mood, but it is done here for emphasis.)

Mind you behave yourself. "You" is the subject of "behave".
Penz
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 9:24:21 PM

Rank: Member

Joined: 2/26/2021
Posts: 442
Neurons: 3,263
That's what I was thinking, though which one should I go with?
Penz
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 9:25:33 PM

Rank: Member

Joined: 2/26/2021
Posts: 442
Neurons: 3,263
That's what I was thinking, though which one should I go with?

And there is one more question that missed out, please answer it as well.
Penz
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 9:27:40 PM

Rank: Member

Joined: 2/26/2021
Posts: 442
Neurons: 3,263
That's what I was thinking, though which one should I go with?

And there is one more question that missed out, please answer it as well.
Quote:


Ice Mice ('hear your teeth chatter and squeak!), peppermint creams shaped kike toads..........and exploding bonbons.

Teeth can't squeak even with the magic?
Difference between peppermint creams and bonbons as in the dictionary both of them have the same defintion?
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, July 21, 2021 10:55:44 PM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/12/2011
Posts: 35,413
Neurons: 244,069
Location: Livingston, Scotland, United Kingdom
"Mind" is a verb which has 'picked up' quite a few common phrases - and it's not now used much in any other ways formally, but it's used in a lot of slightly different ways in informal speech.

"Mind you" is one of those, but I don't think it fits well here.

I would read it as "Mind (that) you behave yourself." - Make sure (that) you behave yourself.

mind - verb
23. (tr; takes a clause as object) to make certain; ensure: mind you tell her.


**************
My teeth squeak if I rub them together, moving my jaw sideways with the teeth pressed together. I can hear it, but no-one else can.

"Pepermint creams" and "bonbons" are specialised definitions for types of sweet.
Peppermint creams are just a mixture of sugar and egg, flavoured with mint and they are solid and dry.



A bonbon is usually a fruit or nut paste (soft), often covered in chocolate or a crisp sugar shell.

bonbon noun
a sweet that is soft in the middle: (Cambridge Dictionary)

(The ones from the Happy Potter shop are orange and pineapple fondant in a chocolate shell.

Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.