mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Could you correct or confirm the explanations? Options
DavidLearn
Posted: Saturday, June 5, 2021 10:45:59 AM

Neurons: 26,224
Hi teachers,
Could you correct or confirm the explanations of the words between quotation marks?

We use the verb “have” to express:
1. “Possession”, the act of possessing.
2. “Relationships”, connections, emotional or not, between two or more people or things.
3. “Illness”, disorder affecting the body or mind.
4. “Characteristics”, aspects of a person, place, or thing that identifies them.

Thanks.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, June 5, 2021 10:56:54 AM

Neurons: 76,374
DavidLearn wrote:
Hi teachers,
Could you correct or confirm the explanations of the words between parentheses?
Not an exhaustive list, but yes, these all work.

2. “Relationships”, connections, emotional or not, between two or more people or things.
4. “Characteristics”, aspects of a person, place, or thing that identifies them.

Thanks.
DavidLearn
Posted: Saturday, June 5, 2021 1:10:51 PM

DavidLearn wrote:
Could you correct or confirm the explanations of the words between parentheses?

Not an exhaustive list, but yes, these all work.

Well, that's right, it's not exhaustive yet. Just joking!

I appreciate your help, FounDit. I know those words are in all the dictionaries... but I want to make the explanations to those words and the ones to come, simpler for the students. Then I don't really know if what I have written makes sense or it's natural. That's why I have asked.

tautophile
Posted: Saturday, June 5, 2021 10:20:33 PM

Neurons: 35,629
Well, the basic meaning of "have" is "possess, own" some thing, as in "I have a dream--to open the first Italian restaurant in the New World", as comedian Stan Freberg claims Columbus said to King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella, trying to convince them to sponsor his expedition (your meaning 1).
You can possess or own a relationship, as in "I have a child or a pet or a spouse" (your meaning 2).
You can possess or own, i.e., suffer from, a disease, as in "You may have Twonk's disease" (your meaning 3). Twonk's disease is a joke among science fiction fans; it's an imaginary disease with no symptoms--though some say "fallen armpits" are a symptom--and, of course, no cure; but then, no cure is needed. It's not known who Twonk was.
You can possess or own a characteristic, as in "I have green eyes" or "I have an American accent" (your meaning 4).

Of course, you can't really replace "have" by "possess" or "own" in any of my sentences above under normal circumstances. Columbus wouldn't say "I possess a dream..."; you would not say "I own a child" (though you might say "I own a pet"); and you would not say "I own green eyes"--(though you might--but probably wouldn't--say "I possess green eyes").

By the way, there are other silly imaginary diseases imagined by the science fiction community; here are two:
--Alamnesia, the condition of having forgotten the Alamo.
--Anoraksia nervosa, a morbid fear of parkas.
These "diseases" are not to be confused with "real" fictional diseases like Edgar Allan Poe's Red Death in his "The Masque of the Red Death", or the Andromeda Strain in the 1971 film of the same name.
DavidLearn
Posted: Thursday, June 10, 2021 8:03:10 AM

tautophile wrote:
Well, the basic meaning of "have" is "possess, own" some thing, as in "I have a dream--to open the first Italian restaurant in the New World", as comedian Stan Freberg claims Columbus said to King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella, trying to convince them to sponsor his expedition (your meaning 1).
You can possess or own a relationship, as in "I have a child or a pet or a spouse" (your meaning 2).
You can possess or own, i.e., suffer from, a disease, as in "You may have Twonk's disease" (your meaning 3). Twonk's disease is a joke among science fiction fans; it's an imaginary disease with no symptoms--though some say "fallen armpits" are a symptom--and, of course, no cure; but then, no cure is needed. It's not known who Twonk was.
You can possess or own a characteristic, as in "I have green eyes" or "I have an American accent" (your meaning 4).

Of course, you can't really replace "have" by "possess" or "own" in any of my sentences above under normal circumstances. Columbus wouldn't say "I possess a dream..."; you would not say "I own a child" (though you might say "I own a pet"); and you would not say "I own green eyes"--(though you might--but probably wouldn't--say "I possess green eyes").

By the way, there are other silly imaginary diseases imagined by the science fiction community; here are two:
--Alamnesia, the condition of having forgotten the Alamo.
--Anoraksia nervosa, a morbid fear of parkas.
These "diseases" are not to be confused with "real" fictional diseases like Edgar Allan Poe's Red Death in his "The Masque of the Red Death", or the Andromeda Strain in the 1971 film of the same name.

I appreciate the information, tautophile.