mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Is "both of which" redundant? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2021 2:40:18 PM

Neurons: 30,096
The highly absorbable Magnesium chelate plus natural marine Magnesium, both of which will help relax muscles and ease nervous tension.

Is "both of which" redundant?

Thanks!
towan52
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2021 3:11:32 PM

Neurons: 235,565
in short no. It's a concise way of keeping context.
tautophile
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2021 3:33:17 PM

Neurons: 32,892
By the way, you don't need to capitalize "magnesium". I've never heard of "magnesium chelate"; I looked it up and found that it's a dietary supplement or medication consisting of magnesium chelated with amino acids, used by people who have low levels of magnesium in their blood. I also looked up "marine magnesium" and found that it is a similar sort of supplement or medication consisting of magnesium hydroxide precipitated from seawater.

Myself, I wouldn't take either of those unless my physician recommended I do so. There is usually enough magnesium in the food you eat. For information on magnesium in the human body, see the website of the US National Institutes of Health's Office of Dietary Supplements (https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Magnesium-Consumer/#:~:text=Magnesium%20is%20a%20nutrient%20that,protein%2C%20bone%2C%20and%20DNA.)
FounDit
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2021 3:44:11 PM

Neurons: 75,132
Koh Elaine wrote:
The highly absorbable Magnesium chelate plus natural marine Magnesium, both of which will help relax muscles and ease nervous tension.

Is "both of which" redundant?

Thanks!

Are these two ingredients combined into one? If so, "both of which" would seem redundant since it is one compound.

But, if the two ingredients are being described separately, and each one helps relax muscles and ease nervous tension, then "both of which" would fit, since it describes each one individually as carrying out those functions.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Monday, May 3, 2021 4:04:25 PM

Neurons: 1,307,800
I don't know what you intend to do with your text, so I'll just mention that it isn't a complete sentence.
Blodybeef
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 4:16:20 AM

Neurons: 721,932
I wouldn't omit "both of which" because it indicates that, highly absorbable Magnesium chelate and natural marine Magnesium help relax muscles and ease nervous tension in their own effect.

Omitting "both of which" may mean that they will help relax muscles and ease nervous tension only when used together.
sureshot
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 11:20:14 AM

Neurons: 466,995
Blodybeef wrote:
I wouldn't omit "both of which" because it indicates that, highly absorbable Magnesium chelate and natural marine Magnesium help relax muscles and ease nervous tension in their own effect.

Omitting "both of which" may mean that they will help relax muscles and ease nervous tension only when used together.

The original sentence uses "plus". It means "with the addition of" or "together with". The use of " plus" implies that the two products are used together to relax muscles and ease nervous tension. So, the use of "both of which" seems redundant. It is clarified that the expression "both of which" exists, but it is redundant in the given sentence.
Koh Elaine
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 5:15:31 AM

Neurons: 30,096
Thanks, sureshot.

I agree with you and Wilmar that the sentence is incomplete. That's why I asked if "both of which" is correctly used. Maybe I should have phrased the question in another way.