mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
how do you say this in an easier way Options
robjen
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 3:21:21 AM

Neurons: 4,356
I have made up the sentences below.

(A) Suppose that I want to have breakfast only four days every week. The four days are random. For example, the days I choose can be Mon/Tue/Fri/Sun, Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri, Mon/Thu/Sat/Sun, and so on. I want only 1 beef sandwich per day for breakfast. Here is my sentence.

(1) Every week, I go to ABC Supermarket to buy four beef sandwiches for breakfast, one for each breakfast.

(B) Again, suppose that I want to have breakfast only four days every week. I need six cheeseburgers in total. For example,
I might eat 1 on Mon, 1 on Wed, 2 on Tue and 2 on Sat;

or 2 on Mon, 1 on Fri, 1 on Sat, and 2 on Sun;

or 1 on Tue, 2 on Thu, 1 on Fri, and 2 on Sun;

and so on. The days I choose to have breakfast are also random. Here is my sentence.

(2) Every week, I go to ABC Supermarket to buy six cheeseburgers for breakfast, one for each of two breakfasts and two for each of another two breakfasts.

I hope you understand my difficulty. I am sure that the highlighted phrases are awkward. How do you revise my sentences to convey my ideas clearly? Thank you very much for your time and help. I really appreciate it.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Tuesday, May 4, 2021 7:46:43 AM

Neurons: 1,308,216
Let's start here. There is no particular construction in the English language designed to identify the days of the week you plan to eat breakfast, or the number of sandwiches you might consume on those days. LOL! The point is that sometimes you need * more than one * sentence to convey your message.

You might try the following.
I generally eat breakfast four days a week. Sometimes I eat one sandwich for breakfast, and sometimes two. I buy enough sandwiches at the grocery store for the week.

If your message needs much more detail than that, you might consider drawing a chart to show precisely your weekly breakfast eating plan.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, May 5, 2021 12:03:54 PM

Neurons: 238,898
Yes - I agree. To say all that in one sentence would produce quite a complex/compound sentence.

A. I buy four beef sandwiches a week from ABC supermarket and eat one of them for breakfast on each of four days.
Your sentence (1) doesn't quite make sense, but most people would understand what you mean.

B. I buy six cheeseburgers a week from ABC supermarket and eat two of them for breakfast on two days, and one of them on two other days.
Your sentence (2) is correct, but - as you say - a bit awkward (but, so is mine)!