mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
we're all well rid of him Options
raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2021 2:52:38 PM

Neurons: 2,919
Hi,

In the following sentence, does "we're all well rid of him" mean "we'll be much better without him"?

He was a nuisance and we're all well rid of him.

I'd appreciate your help.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2021 3:08:21 PM

Neurons: 16,268
raymondaliasapollyon wrote:
Hi,

In the following sentence, does "we're all well rid of him" mean "we'll be much better without him"?

He was a nuisance and we're all well rid of him.

I'd appreciate your help.

Yes it’s a commonly used phrase in British English, I don’t know if Americans use it though.
raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2021 9:10:48 PM

I'm wondering whether it means "we'll be much better without him" or "we are much better without him."
Audiendus
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2021 9:01:07 AM

Neurons: 1,364,773
I'm wondering whether it means "we'll be much better without him" or "we are much better without him."

"We're (we are) all well rid of him" means both now and in the future. He has gone now, and we don't expect him to come back.
FounDit
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2021 10:40:25 AM

Neurons: 75,132
Audiendus wrote:

"We're (we are) all well rid of him" means both now and in the future. He has gone now, and we don't expect him to come back.

And it is used in AmE to mean we'll be better off (in better conditions) without him.
raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2021 5:05:57 AM

Audiendus wrote:

Thank you. Are you saying "we're all well rid of him" means "we are much better without him, and we will continue to be so?

The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary attaches an exaplantion to that sentence. It struck me as odd:

He was a nuisance and we're all well rid of him (= we'll be much better without him) .

FounDit
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2021 11:20:36 AM

Neurons: 75,132
Audiendus wrote:

Thank you. Are you saying "we're all well rid of him" means "we are much better without him, and we will continue to be so?
Yes.

The Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary attaches an exaplantion to that sentence. It struck me as odd:

He was a nuisance and we're all well rid of him (= we'll be much better without him) .
This is what the "we're all well rid" part means. We are, and will be, much better without him.