mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
For tech companies, this is a.. Options
Dukul
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2021 9:14:19 AM

Neurons: 8,447
Could anyone please explain the parts in bold? Why "or not" isn't used here "Whether (or not) that will result in better quality art seems dubious at best."?

▪For tech companies, this is a customer satisfaction problem. They will try to solve this problem with more tech — better algorithms, new features, more ways to make one’s way through the digital miasma. It is also why, increasingly, content is created or marketed to make its way through the algorithmic mess. Whether that will result in better quality art seems dubious at best.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2021 9:59:49 AM

Neurons: 238,741
Hi!

"Or not" is not needed with "whether". It's sometimes used for reasons of rhythm or "style", but I can't think of a time when it's vital.
If there is no alternative mentioned, "whether" assumes the "not".
Whether I go to the cinema or the museum depends on my wife - she'll decide. This has the alternative stated.
Whether I go to the cinema depends on my wife - she'll decide. - this has no alternative mentioned, so it means the alternative is "not go to the cinema".

The first highlighted bit is the end of one phrase and the beginning of another. It doesn't mean anything in itself.
"more tech" - this is one thing that tech companies offer to try to satisfy customers.
"better algorithms" - this is an example of "more tech".
"new features" - this is another example.

make one’s way through the digital miasma. - This is a "poetic", metaphorical description. It's saying that modern technology can be difficult to work with - "make one's way" means "to navigate" or "to travel" - "miasma" means "fog" or "poluted atmosphere".
So using some technical resources is like travelling through a fog - it's difficult.
The better algorithms and new features are supposed to make it easier.

"Algorithmic mess" is another way to describe the difficult technology - it's a mess (confusing and disorganised), and it's made up of algorithms.

"at best"
is a phrase
Adv.1.at best - under the best of conditions; "at best we'll lose only the money"
It might be worse - "the best result is _____"

Some people might say that new features definitely will NOT result in better quality art.
The best statement one can make is that it's doubtful that it will result in better art.

I hope that helps.