mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Are commas needed? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2021 1:17:38 PM

Neurons: 30,096
There have been sharp spikes recorded in the federal territory of Kuala Lumpur and Malaysia's most developed state Selangor in recent days.

Should there be a comma after 'state' and another after 'Selangor'?

Thanks!
tautophile
Posted: Saturday, May 1, 2021 1:55:14 PM

Neurons: 32,892
Commas before and after "Selangor" in your sentence may not be absolutely necessary, but I would recommend them.

I would modify the sentence thus: "Sharp spikes have been recorded in recent days in the federal territory of Kuala Lumpur, and in Malaysia's most developed state, Selangor."

Of course, I don't know what "spikes" refer to. Are they earthquake tremors? Or are they spikes in electricity usage or something similar? Is there a particular reason for mentioning that Selangor is Malaysia's most [economically] developed state?

Other possibilities include "Sharp spikes have been recorded in recent days in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia's capital, and in Selangor, the state that surrounds it." (This would be suitable for a publication aimed at readers who, like myself, are not very familiar with Malaysia's geography or political subdivisions. For example, I knew that K.L. is the capital of Malaysia, but I had to look up Selangor.)
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Sunday, May 2, 2021 8:00:37 AM

Neurons: 1,307,800
You do need commas around Selangor because it is an appositive. Selangor renames (or in this case, gives a name to) "Malaysia's most developed state".