mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
Are commas needed? Options
Koh Elaine
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 8:07:17 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 7/4/2012
Posts: 7,040
Neurons: 29,969
PETALING JAYA, April 6 — A hornbill in Singapore has been making the rounds on social media after it snatched a small bird from the safety of its cage.

The incident which took place outside an HDB flat was caught on camera shows the large bird perched on a railing near several birdcages.

Should there be a comma after "incident" and another after "flat"?

Thanks!
Audiendus
Posted: Tuesday, April 6, 2021 9:05:57 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 7,222
Neurons: 1,353,908
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Koh Elaine wrote:
Should there be a comma after "incident" and another after "flat"?

Yes. It is a non-defining clause.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 1:59:00 AM

Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/21/2009
Posts: 43,565
Neurons: 616,383
Location: Helsinki, Southern Finland Province, Finland
I'd add some more


The incident, which took place outside an HDB flat, was caught on camera, and shows the large bird perched on a railing near several birdcages.
sureshot
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 3:43:55 AM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 9/16/2015
Posts: 2,840
Neurons: 461,526
Jyrkkä Jätkä wrote:
I'd add some more


The incident, which took place outside an HDB flat, was caught on camera, and shows the large bird perched on a railing near several birdcages.


_________________

The use of "and" is incorrect. Read the sentence without the text between the commas. It is correct. The use of "and" creates an error in the sentence.
Audiendus
Posted: Wednesday, April 7, 2021 10:32:41 PM
Rank: Advanced Member

Joined: 8/24/2011
Posts: 7,222
Neurons: 1,353,908
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
sureshot wrote:
The use of "and" is incorrect. Read the sentence without the text between the commas. It is correct. The use of "and" creates an error in the sentence.

No, I think JJ is correct – "and" is needed before "shows". Alternatively, "and" could be added before "was caught" instead.
Users browsing this topic
Guest


Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.