mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
uncovered Options
alibey1917
Posted: Monday, April 5, 2021 10:38:52 AM

Neurons: 8,530
"In a similar way, television and social media helped launch the Arab Spring. Activists in Sidi Bouzid used Facebook video to document their protests, which were uncovered by Tunisian media outlets. Tunisian activists in Europe then packaged the video and brought it to Al Jazeera, which broadcast it on its Arabic- language service, reaching an audience in Tunis who were otherwise unaware of the protests occurring only two hundred kilometers away." (Ethan Zuckerman, Mistrust: Why Losing Faith In Institutions Provides the Tools to Transform Them)

I think the word uncovered" is a misprint for "covered", am I wrong?
thar
Posted: Monday, April 5, 2021 11:04:38 AM

Neurons: 97,376
No, I think he means 'not covered'.

Tunisian media did not cover the protests. State control, presumably.

The way the news got around was through videos uploaded to facebook and then through the foreign media outlet Al Jazeera, which could be watched in Tunisia. Without that, the Tunisians would have been unaware of it happening. There was nothing on the Tunisian media about it - a complete government cover-up, news blackout.

'went uncovered' would have been OK. That would mean the protests took place but the media did not cover them.

But 'were uncovered' means they were discovered, unearthed. To uncover something is a positive action.

This guy is just a lousy writer, has to be my conclusion! Lousy user of language in general, presumably. (I know, maybe someone will again tell me this is how you use it in American English. Maybe.)
alibey1917
Posted: Monday, April 5, 2021 12:39:31 PM

Neurons: 8,530
thar yazdı:
No, I think he means 'not covered'.

Tunisian media did not cover the protests. State control, presumably.

The way the news got around was through videos uploaded to facebook and then through the foreign media outlet Al Jazeera, which could be watched in Tunisia. Without that, the Tunisians would have been unaware of it happening. There was nothing on the Tunisian media about it - a complete government cover-up, news blackout.

'went uncovered' would have been OK. That would mean the protests took place but the media did not cover them.

But 'were uncovered' means they were discovered, unearthed. To uncover something is a positive action.

This guy is just a lousy writer, has to be my conclusion! Lousy user of language in general, presumably. (I know, maybe someone will again tell me this is how you use it in American English. Maybe.)

Thank you, thar.