mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
graduated with your masters Options
Mnemon
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2021 5:06:07 AM

Neurons: 649
Hello,

While I was filling out a form to apply for a PhD program, I came across this question:

Quote:
In which country is the university located where you graduated with your masters?

The part in bold does sound wrong and unidiomatic to me. What do you say? Does it work for you?
Thanks/
FounDit
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2021 11:24:23 AM

Neurons: 74,672
Mnemon wrote:
Hello,

While I was filling out a form to apply for a PhD program, I came across this question:

Quote:
In which country is the university located where you graduated with your masters?

The part in bold does sound wrong and unidiomatic to me. What do you say? Does it work for you?
Thanks/

On first reading it, I understood what was being asked, but I can see how it might sound to someone not a native speaker.

Since the scene is one of filling out a form to apply for a PhD program, I would expect to be asked certain questions. One of those questions might be where I received my Master's Degree. So with that in mind, the question seems fine. I would understand it as asking in which country is the University where I (graduated/obtained) my Master's Degree?

But the way it is worded seems to ask in which country I graduated along with my masters, as if we all graduated together.