mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
on/in its high speed vacuum tube transport pods Options
raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Monday, March 22, 2021 11:00:55 PM

Neurons: 2,824
Hi,

I'm wondering if the boldfaced preposition in the first following sentence is properly used. Also, should the definite article have been replaced by "its," and do "transport" and "transportation" present a mixture of American and Commonwealth English?

In November 2020, Virgin Hyperloop held the first passenger trials on its high speed vacuum tube transport pods. The transportation system uses magnetic levitation, or maglev, train technology.

Source:
https://www.ivy.com.tw/newsLetter/analysis_cont/2021031911145970609

I'd appreciate your help.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 2:08:37 AM

Neurons: 16,020
raymondaliasapollyon wrote:
Hi,

I'm wondering if the boldfaced preposition in the first following sentence is properly used. Also, should the definite article have been replaced by "its," and do "transport" and "transportation" present a mixture of American and Commonwealth English?

In November 2020, Virgin Hyperloop held the first passenger trials on its high speed vacuum tube transport pods. The transportation system uses magnetic levitation, or maglev, train technology.

Source:
https://www.ivy.com.tw/newsLetter/analysis_cont/2021031911145970609

I'd appreciate your help.

They are correct, the is used as it’s a specific set of trials, not trials in general, the first passenger trials.
On is used as it’s not the passengers in the Hyoerlooo that are being tested, but the Hyoerloop itself to see how it reacts to passengers within it,
raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 2:21:14 AM

I don't understand why "on" is used. In the following sentence on the same topic, "in" is used:

Virgin Hyperloop says it made transportation history on Sunday when it tested human travel in a lightning-quick hyperloop pod for the first time.

The sentence in the OP has "on its high speed vacuum tube transport pods," whereas the sentence here has "in a lightning-quick hyperloop pod."

I'm also wondering whether the "on" in the original should have been "of."
"on" seems to indicate the location where the trial took place, e.g., on a test track.

FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2021 11:21:33 AM

Neurons: 74,672
I don't understand why "on" is used. In the following sentence on the same topic, "in" is used:

Virgin Hyperloop says it made transportation history on Sunday when it tested human travel in a lightning-quick hyperloop pod for the first time.

The sentence in the OP has "on its high speed vacuum tube transport pods," whereas the sentence here has "in a lightning-quick hyperloop pod."

I'm also wondering whether the "on" in the original should have been "of."
"on" seems to indicate the location where the trial took place, e.g., on a test track.

I would understand it like this: Virgin Hyperloop ran a test "on" its pod (the pod itself was tested). But you could also say they ran a test "of" its pod, meaning they own the pod.

At the same time, they also were running a test "on" the humans "in" the pod, to test their reactions.

So you could say two different tests were conducted at the same time: a test on the pod they owned (of it), and on the humans "in" the pod.
raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Wednesday, March 24, 2021 3:00:57 AM

All the examples I could find of "held the first trial on" from native sources on Google are followed by a date, not a thing to be tested. And even when they are not followed by a date, they are about legal contexts.

I wouldn't bat an eyelid, though, if it were followed by a place such as a test track.
Audiendus
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 1:58:28 AM

Neurons: 1,354,886
All the examples I could find of "held the first trial on" from native sources on Google are followed by a date, not a thing to be tested. And even when they are not followed by a date, they are about legal contexts.

The meaning of "on" in "trials on" is "directed towards". See meaning 4c (preposition) in the American Heritage Dictionary quoted by TFD (the example there is "an attack on the fortress"). Other examples:

tests on the vaccine
carry out work on the project
play a joke on someone
focus on the facts
raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 3:12:20 AM

Thank you.
Do we say "complete a test on something" or "complete a test of something"?

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 4:58:41 AM

Thank you.
Do we say "complete a test on something" or "complete a test of something"?

Either might be used.
A test of fire safety drills.
A test on the consistency of concrete.

I don’t think there is a good rule for when one is used or the other.
raymondaliasapollyon
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 5:47:08 AM

Are both "complete a test on the transport pods" or "complete a test of the transport pods" okay?

Sarrriesfan
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2021 5:49:38 AM

Are both "complete a test on the transport pods" or "complete a test of the transport pods" okay?

Yes.