mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
“code” and "architecture" Options
alibey1917
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 9:15:56 AM

Neurons: 8,615
"'The apparent feeling among a number of courts and commentators is that code is different: that the task of evaluating design decisions involved in technological products is uniquely beyond the ken of federal courts.” Lessig continued, “I believe it is a mistake to fetishize code in this way. I believe it is a mistake to fetishize code in this way.("United States v. Microsoft Corporation, Civil Action No. 98- 1232 (TPJ) (filed February 1, 2000), Brief of Professor Lawrence Lessig as Amicus Curiae.)

"Code and law are only two forces that regulate individual behavior. Lessig proposes a framework where behaviors of all sorts are regulated by four forces: law, code, norms, and markets... Lessig explains, 'Norms constrain through the stigma that a community imposes; markets constrain through the price that they exact; architectures constrain through the physical burdens they impose; and law constrains through the punishment it threatens.'"

"Implicit in Lessig’s understanding of these regulatory forces is the idea that regulations don’t just constrain us— they can also free us. He references the Americans with Disabilities Act as a set of laws that demand architectural (code) changes to make buildings and public spaces accessible to all." (Ethan Zuckerman, Mistrust: Why Losing Faith In Institutions Provides the Tools to Transform Them)

I'm sorry for the long quotations but I had to do it. In what sense are the words “code” and "architecture" used here?
Gary98
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 11:48:55 AM

Neurons: 5,949,238
TFD: code:

code - a set of rules or principles or laws (especially written ones)

architectures:
4. the structure or design of anything

architectures are used as an example, right?
alibey1917
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2021 5:34:49 AM

Neurons: 8,615
Gary98 yazdı:
TFD: code:

code - a set of rules or principles or laws (especially written ones)

architectures:
4. the structure or design of anything

architectures are used as an example, right?

Thank you, Gary98.