mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
"be primed to think about" and "the boiling water of our social and political attitudes" Options
alibey1917
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 8:31:08 AM

Neurons: 8,690
"The social psychologist John Bargh... invited a set of liberals and conservatives into a lab and led them through an exercise in which they imagined themselves with superpowers. Some had the ability to fly; others imagined themselves as invulnerable to harm... But among those who’d been primed to think about invulnerability— a prompt to encourage the unconscious to suppress fear responses— Republicans responded more like Democrats. Bargh argues that this is a possible technique for converting conservatives into liberals: 'The boiling water of our social and political attitudes, it seems, can be turned up or down by changing how physically safe we feel.'" (Ethan Zuckerman, Mistrust: Why Losing Faith In Institutions Provides the Tools to Transform Them)

I couldn't figure out the phrases "be primed to think about" and "the boiling water of our social and political attitudes", what do those mean?
thar
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 10:58:24 AM

Neurons: 98,092
Primed us when you are reduced in advance.
(Prime = first, before).

If you are primed to think a certain way, the situation has been set beforehand so that that though is already in your brain. Not consciously but in your subconcious. Subliminal suggestion. Maybe the Superman theme was playing in the lab. Maybe some of the words and phrases he used in the introduction led them to think about that topic. In some way, these subjects were unknowingly steerer towards that idea, primed to think it.

Quote:
prime
verb [ T ]
UK /praɪm/ US /praɪm/

to tell someone something that will prepare them for a particular situation:
I'd been primed so I knew not to mention her son.

The second one is silly. It s a poor metaphor I think he is trying to make.
The water in a pan can boil more vigorously or calm down to a gentle simmer.
If you feel safe, (invulnerable) you think more like a Democrat. But why that should involve turning the heat up he doesn't explain.

And boiling water doesn't get any hotter once it's boiling. Physics, Ethan.Whistle
alibey1917
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 11:17:20 AM

thar yazdı:
(Prime = first, before).

If you are primed to think a certain way, the situation has been set beforehand so that that though is already in your brain. Not consciously but in your subconcious. Subliminal suggestion. Maybe the Superman theme was playing in the lab. Maybe some of the words and phrases he used in the introduction led them to think about that topic. In some way, these subjects were unknowingly steerer towards that idea, primed to think it.

Alıntı:
prime
verb [ T ]
UK /praɪm/ US /praɪm/

If you feel safe, (invulnerable) you think more like a Democrat. But why that should involve turning the heat up he doesn't explain.

And boiling water doesn't get any hotter once it's boiling. Physics, Ethan.Whistle

Thank you, thar, I got it, but I can't say I could understand the phrase "Physics, Ethan." Is it a reference to Mission: Impossible or –less likely– Lost?
alibey1917
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 11:17:22 AM

thar yazdı:
(Prime = first, before).

Alıntı:
prime
verb [ T ]
UK /praɪm/ US /praɪm/

Thank you, thar, I got it, but I can't say I could understand the phrase "Physics, Ethan." Is it a reference to Mission: Impossible or –less likely– Lost?
thar
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 11:58:14 AM

Neurons: 98,092
First, correction from my ****** autocorrect.

"Primed is when you are readied in advance."
Sorry, I should check more or it comes out as gibberish.

No cultural reference. Just the name of the writer, Ethan Zuckerman. And the fact that boiling water doesn't get hotter - it just boils away. A fact of physics. So boiling water can't be "turned up". I don't even know what he is trying to say there.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 2:00:55 PM

Neurons: 16,393
thar wrote:
First, correction from my ****** autocorrect.

"Primed is when you are readied in advance."
Sorry, I should check more or it comes out as gibberish.

No cultural reference. Just the name of the writer, Ethan Zuckerman. And the fact that boiling water doesn't get hotter - it just boils away. A fact of physics. So boiling water can't be "turned up". I don't even know what he is trying to say there.

At standard temperature and pressure.
If you climb Mount Everest the boiling point is slightly lower than at sea level, because the atmosphere is thinner.
Jyrkkä Jätkä
Posted: Friday, February 19, 2021 4:04:43 PM

Neurons: 620,155
Just a note, not about vocabulary or grammar things:

Water can reach temperatures above 100 degrees Celcius and below zero. It might change its state and form, but chemically it's still water, whether ice or vapour.

😇