mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
it doesn’t track Options
alibey1917
Posted: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 5:09:40 AM

Neurons: 8,690

"While neoliberalism helps explain an overall shift away from trust in government, it doesn’t track historical polling very well. During Reagan’s presidency, trust in government rose steadily from 30 percent to the mid- 40s, suggesting that it may more closely parallel a sense that the economy is expanding and indi-viduals’ lives are getting better." (Ethan Zuckerman, Mistrust: Why Losing Faith In Institutions Provides the Tools to Transform Them)

What does the clause "it doesn’t track historical polling very well" mean here?
thar
Posted: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 5:37:32 AM

Neurons: 98,094
with a direct object, I take it to mean follow, match the path of.
ie the two graphs don't show a good correlation

(without an object, if something "doesn't track" it means it doesn't make sense. But here it is that A doesn't track B. So that means follow the same path, match.)

But the way he has it, 'it' [neoliberalism'] doesn't match polling - people voting for the more liberal candiates. I think he means neoliberal voting doesn't match statistics about trust in government.

He has the academic posts to his name and the 'media blogger' title but in my opinion his writing could do with a kick up the backside.
alibey1917
Posted: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 8:25:50 AM

Neurons: 8,690
thar yazdı:
with a direct object, I take it to mean follow, match the path of.
ie the two graphs don't show a good correlation

(without an object, if something "doesn't track" it means it doesn't make sense. But here it is that A doesn't track B. So that means follow the same path, match.)

But the way he has it, 'it' [neoliberalism'] doesn't match polling - people voting for the more liberal candiates. I think he means neoliberal voting doesn't match statistics about trust in government.

He has the academic posts to his name and the 'media blogger' title but in my opinion his writing could do with a kick up the backside.

Thank you, thar.