mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
The pandemic reigns on. Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, January 6, 2021 2:38:13 AM

Neurons: 1,485,574
The US is now at 21,044,020 million confirmed covid19 cases and 357,377 deaths.

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

7 million to 8 million cases: 25 days
8 million to 9 million cases: 13 days
9 million to 10 million cases: 9 days
10 million to 11 million cases: 6 days
11 million to 12 million cases: 5 days
12 million to 13 million cases: 7 days
13 million to 14 million cases: 6 days
14 million to 15 million cases: 4 days
15 million to 16 million cases: 4 days
16 million to 17 million cases: 4 days
17 million to 18 million cases: 3 days
18 million to 19 million cases: 5 days
19 million to 20 million cases: 5 days
20 million to 21 million cases: 4 days
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2021 1:48:41 AM

The US is now at 22,137,929 million confirmed covid19 cases and 372,428 deaths.

21 million to 22 million cases: 4 days
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2021 2:03:19 PM

Neurons: 57,037

Six House Republicans were captured on video refusing masks offered by a colleague during the US Capitol insurrection on Wednesday.

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/2141736556062/republican-members-of-congress-refuse-to-wear-masks-during-capitol-insurrection?s=oldSite&ss=a2

I never saw so many people competing for the Darwin award.

In an interview with McClatchy news service Friday, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Dr. Robert Redfield warned that the US Capitol riot on Wednesday was likely a coronavirus "surge event" and "is going to have public health consequences."

"I do think you have to anticipate that this is another surge event. You had largely unmasked individuals in a non-distanced fashion, who were all through the Capitol," Redfield told McClatchy.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2021 8:13:41 PM

The US is now at 23,047,409 million confirmed covid19 cases and 384,277 deaths.

21 million to 22 million cases: 4 days
22 million to 23 million cases: 4 days
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2021 10:40:59 PM

Taking a look at US deaths due to covid19...

01/13/2021: 384,277 deaths
01/09/2021: 372,428 deaths

That's 11,849 deaths in 48 hours.

4 deaths every minute.

1 death every 15 seconds.

It's difficult to comprehend.

The global death rate would be worse.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2021 5:19:11 AM

Oscar D. Grouch wrote:
Taking a look at US deaths due to covid19...

01/13/2021: 384,277 deaths
01/09/2021: 372,428 deaths

That's 11,849 deaths in 48 hours.

4 deaths every minute.

1 death every 15 seconds.

It's difficult to comprehend.

The global death rate would be worse.

The above calculation was flawed.

It should've been...

11,849 deaths in 96 hours.

1 death every 30 seconds.
thar
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2021 6:16:13 AM

Neurons: 94,766
This is from a feature article from BBC news.

And there are still people out there who insist this is fake, or harmless. I mean.....d'oh!

Quote:
Coronavirus has changed many people's working lives for the worse. Many of us have been isolated from our colleagues; others have been made redundant by employers citing the costs of the pandemic.

In the NHS and in care homes, though, the pressures have perhaps been the most intolerable. Ten months of Covid-19 has left many healthcare professionals' mental health at breaking point, according to Claire Goodwin-Fee.

The Frontline19 organisation she runs with fellow therapist Ellen Waldren has received more inquiries in the past week than it did in the whole of December. The free service, which is funded by donations, is currently helping about 1,800 healthcare workers a week.

Here, in her own words, Claire explains the scale of the mental health problem she is witnessing.

'People are feeling sick about going into work'
London Ambulance Service paramedics
IMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES
I'm waiting for the headline that says: 'Doctor takes own life because of the pandemic'. It is going to happen. If not today, it'll be soon because they are on their knees - and they want people to know that.

There is a huge amount of anxiety. People are feeling sick about going into work and what they're going to see.

They're seeing multiple deaths on a shift - someone the other day saw eight or nine people pass away. Someone else got in contact with us and said 'I know by the time I go back on my shift tomorrow six of my patients won't be there. How do I manage that?'

NHS staff left 'traumatised' by first Covid wave
Frontline staff are not given any time to process it, so it's repeated, trauma after trauma after trauma. And yet these people go home, have their dinner, try and relax as best they can, get up, get washed - all the time worrying about if they're going to infect the people they live with.

Some people will function on autopilot, until such times when they physically can't, but they are being pushed to the brink.

'He put his head on the desk and sobbed'

London-based Frontline19 was set up by Claire Goodwin-Fee and Ellen Waldren to offer free therapy to healthcare professionals
We had a doctor who has a young family but is keeping separate from them, who was traumatised by the fact that he had lost two of his colleagues to Covid. On one shift he lost five patients pretty quickly into the shift and as soon as those beds were free, they filled up with more coming in.

He then had to phone up the relatives of the people who had sadly passed away. He said he wasn't equipped to do that - he didn't know what to say. He put the phone down and put his head on the desk and sobbed and he said: 'I can't manage it any more.'

Paramedics are getting called out on shifts where they're going to houses and they're telling us that they look at the people and they know they're going to die because they're so sick.

One of those events can happen and you could probably manage it with the right support. But this is happening numerous times a shift. How is anyone supposed to cope with that?

'It's horrendous out there'

Care home staff have really struggled throughout the pandemic.

The dedication and compassion to the people they look after is amazing; it's inspiring. A lot of them moved into the homes because they didn't want to risk the contamination of bringing things into the home.

Some have said they've lost 70% of the people in these homes. They've washed and dressed their bodies and these are people they've had relationships with; they've fed, they've looked after, they've talked to, they've shared memories with.

Then they have to dress them for their final moments, pick up their coat and go home or go upstairs and try to relax - how can anybody cope with that?

The truth behind videos of 'empty' UK hospitals
The hospital hit by a coronavirus 'tidal wave'
NHS Covid-19 jab letters 'confusing over-80s'
It's horrendous out there. It's absolutely horrendous and the care homes were ignored for a long, long time and they desperately need support.

I remember - it broke my heart - we had an email through at the start of the pandemic where someone very tentatively said: 'I don't suppose this service applies to those in care homes?' And I said 'yes of course it does, why wouldn't it?' And they said 'because we're not a professional service'.

It's heartbreaking that these are people who are professionally trained, who are saving the lives of numerous people, are being treated so poorly.

You've got doctors living in garages or hotels and are keeping separate from their loved ones because they know that this new strain is much more contagious so they need to protect them, while being mums and dads, grandparents and all these different things.

Their colleagues are dying around them and then you have these people saying 'Covid isn't real' or 'you've got time to do TikTok'.

I would love for people to see actually what's really going on in these wards. It's horrific.

We had a conversation with a few people this week about Clap for Carers, and I know it's meant in the best possible way but people are furious about it [returning]. They don't want to be clapped. What they want is for people to stay home and, if they have to go out, wear a mask.

'The system is starting to break'

We've had people that have been part of terrorist situations and they've never had support. They've now gone into this pandemic and they've got something called complex PTSD, which is when someone has seen numerous traumatic situations. We're getting a lot more people with that.

We're getting people who have post-traumatic stress disorder and yet a lot of them are still working.

There are people off sick with complete breakdowns. We've spoken to people who have been sectioned because they are so traumatised by what they're seeing.

The system is starting to break already but it's going to get worse.

In October, sick days in the NHS due to mental health was 500,000 days. This is going to be a bigger problem in the long term. This needs to halt now.

'What's going to happen to these people?'

It's amazing that people are reaching out for help, and of course we want to keep doing that, but at times it feels overwhelming. The need is so great. I think it's been that way for a while but obviously the more we talk about what's happening and share how difficult things are - and some people are really having horrific situations that they're having to work through - that increases the amount of people who seek support.

The positive side is with the right funding we could scale this. The psychotherapists [to whom Frontline19 refers healthcare workers] are all qualified and insured so they know what they're doing.

My concern is if we don't become sustainable and receive funding, in the long term what's going to happen to these people, the very backbone of the UK?

I'm really hoping that we can secure funding from the government so we can continue to support the amazing people in the NHS.

I strongly believe that we owe it to each other to look after one another. This could be a great time of connection and support but the changes need to be now.

As told to Sonja Jessup; produced by Rebecca Cafe

Alongside this, which is just crazy because it someone has to sit down and invent this stuff in the first place. Why? What is wrong in their brain that they are prepared to lie to their own people?

Quote:
Covid: Fake news 'causing UK South Asians to reject jab'
By Sima Kotecha
BBC News

Published5 hours ago
Covid vaccine
IMAGE COPYRIGHTPA MEDIA
Fake news is likely to be causing some people from the UK's South Asian communities to reject the Covid vaccine, a doctor has warned.

Dr Harpreet Sood, who is leading an NHS anti-disinformation drive, said it was "a big concern" and officials were working "to correct so much fake news".

He said language and cultural barriers played a part in the false information.

A GP in the West Midlands told the BBC some of her South Asian patients had refused the vaccine when offered it.

Influencers
Dr Sood, from NHS England, said officials were working with South Asian role models, influencers, community leaders and religious leaders to help debunk myths about the vaccine.

Much of the disinformation surrounds the contents of the vaccine.

He said: "We need to be clear and make people realise there is no meat in the vaccine, there is no pork in the vaccine, it has been accepted and endorsed by all the religious leaders and councils and faith communities."

"We're trying to find role models and influencers and also thinking about ordinary citizens who need to be quick with this information so that they can all support one another because ultimately everyone is a role model to everyone", he added.

"There's a big piece of work happening where we're translating information, we're making sure the look and feel of it reaches the populations that matter."

WhatsApp rumours fear over BAME vaccine take up
Why 'disappearing' vaccine needles aren't a scam
No, it won't alter your DNA - vaccine rumours debunked
The vaccines explained in five South Asian languages
Some of the disinformation seen by the BBC on social media and on WhatsApp is religiously targeted. Messages falsely claim the vaccine contains animal produce or alcohol. For Muslims and Hindus, for example, eating meat such as pork goes against their religious beliefs.

Dr Samara Afzal has been vaccinating people in Dudley, West Midlands. She said: "We've been calling all patients and booking them in for vaccines but the admin staff say when they call a lot of the South Asian patients they decline and refuse to have the vaccination.

"Also talking to friends and family have found the same. I've had friends calling me telling me to convince their parents or their grandparents to have the vaccination because other family members have convinced them not to have it".

Dr Harpreet Sood Dr Harpreet Sood
We need to be clear and make people realise there is no meat in the vaccine, there is no pork in the vaccine, it has been accepted and endorsed by all the religious leaders
Dr Harpreet Sood
NHS England
Reena Pujara is a beauty therapist in Hampshire and a practicing Hindu. She said she's been bombarded with false information.

"Some of the videos are quite disturbing especially when you actually see the person reporting is a medic and telling you that the vaccine is going to alter your DNA," she said.

"For a layman it is very confusing. And also when you read that the ingredients in the vaccine derive from a cow - and as Hindus the cow is sacred to us - it is disturbing."

About 100 mosques have a joined a campaign to counter vaccine disinformation and persuade their communities to take the vaccine. They've said they'll use their Friday sermons to urge people to have the jab.

"There should be no hesitation in taking [the vaccine] from a moral perspective," said Qari Asim, chair of the Mosques and Imams National Advisory Board (MINAB), which has organised the campaign. "It is our ethical duty to protect ourselves and others from harm."

A recent poll, commissioned by the Royal Society of Public Health, suggested just over half of black, Asian and minority ethnic (BAME) people would be happy to have the coronavirus vaccine.

It found 57% said they would take the vaccine - compared with 79% of white people.