The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859) Options
Daemon
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 91,602
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (1859)

Conan Doyle was a Scottish writer noted for his tales about fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. Originally a doctor, Conan Doyle studied under the sharp-eyed Dr. Joseph Bell, who was noted for his ability to draw accurate conclusions about people through observation. Bell was thus the model for Holmes, who appeared for the first time in 1887. Conan Doyle "killed off" Holmes in 1893 but was forced by public demand to resurrect him. What famous unsolved hoax might the author have perpetrated? More...
Ashwin Vemuri
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 2:23:46 AM

Neurons: 120,560
Thanks
lazarius
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 6:03:24 AM

Neurons: 803,235
Daemon wrote:
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

The only English author I would read everything I could get. If I didn't have to read inferior ones such as Dickens and Galsworthy.

Even as a child I read 8 volumes of his works that I found in my mother's bookcase:

-
Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 6:32:24 AM

Neurons: 841,351
Conan Doyle, whose real name is Arthur Ignatius Conan Doyle, was born in Scotland in 1859 to a family of Catholic origin. His father is the English painter Charles Altamont Doyle and his mother is called Mary Foley. During his childhood, he studied at the Jesuit preparatory school at Hodder Place in Lancashire and then at Stonyhurst college. In 1875, he interrupted his schooling, which was not found in Christian education. He then successfully undertook medical studies at the University of Edinburgh. He began to practice medicine and became passionate about writing. He publishes several short stories in the Chambers’s Edimburgh Journal. As a doctor, he participated in several expeditions and became a doctor for British troops during the Second Boer War in 1900. After his medical studies, he opened a practice in Portsmouth in 1882, but struggled to constitute himself patients and started writing again.

https://www.fnac.com/Sir-Arthur-Conan-Doyl
ibj_ldn
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 3:39:39 PM

Neurons: 372,154
What a marvellous, one-of-a-kind writer. Have read many of his Sherlock Holmes stories. He is one of my favorite crime fiction writers along with Dame Agatha Christie and G. K. Chesterton.
Wilmar (USA) 1M
Posted: Friday, May 22, 2020 4:23:58 PM

Neurons: 1,066,579

Conan Doyle was a Scottish writer noted for his tales about fictional detective Sherlock Holmes. Originally a doctor, Conan Doyle studied under the sharp-eyed Dr. Joseph Bell, who was noted for his ability to draw accurate conclusions about people through observation. Bell was thus the model for Holmes, who appeared for the first time in 1887. Conan Doyle "killed off" Holmes in 1893 but was forced by public demand to resurrect him.