The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Mind your language ? Options
Bruce Denney 🥑
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 3:12:03 AM

Neurons: 75,151
The language issue is driving me bonkers.

The use of the word English to describe the American language is an anathema.

Why would a web site focusing on language have such a fundamental flaw.

Are the developers so unaware of the fact American is a different language to English?

Why does this site not have a language choice for American, English, Australian and so forth?

If you are not going to offer choice, you could at the very least label the language American instead of English.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 12:04:18 PM

Neurons: 65,575
Bruce Denney 🥑 wrote:

The use of the word English to describe the American language is an anathema.

Why would a web site focusing on language have such a fundamental flaw.

Are the developers so unaware of the fact American is a different language to English?

Why does this site not have a language choice for American, English, Australian and so forth?

If you are not going to offer choice, you could at the very least label the language American instead of English.

I'm sorry to see you have been driven to bonkers, but why would the developers need to create such divisions? The posters here continually mention, point to, and give examples of, the differences among the versions of English spoken in various parts of the world. It seems redundant.
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Wednesday, May 20, 2020 5:34:24 PM

Neurons: 219,750
Bruce Denney 🥑 wrote:
I quite understand.
Being from Glastonbury, obviously you speak Southern.
We who speak real English (in the Southern Pennine areas) or its near variants (West Lancashire and North and East Yorkshire) can empathise when you are dismayed - nay - driven bonkers - by having your language misnamed.

I was even once accused by one person from Southampton of speaking Scots! (Though I am learning it now, I didn't speak it at that time).

If you need it, I can recommend the services of a good psychoanalist to help with the bonkerisation - and apparently Ritalin makes some people feel a bit calmer before they move into the mass-murder and suicide stage. Whistle
Bruce Denney 🥑
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 3:19:19 AM

Neurons: 75,151

I'm sorry to see you have been driven to bonkers, but why would the developers need to create such divisions? The posters here continually mention, point to, and give examples of, the differences among the versions of English spoken in various parts of the world. It seems redundant. [/quote]

We need it because things such as the spelling bee, hangman, etc are dependant on the language.

Ask an English or American person to spell colour and they will in all probability spell it correctly but in 2 different ways.
jfullerton
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 10:05:16 AM

Hi Bruce, thank you for your feedback. Because the Spelling Bee database contains both American and British spellings, the game can potentially pull the British or American spelling of a word and then will only accept that spelling as correct (i.e. if it pulls "neighbor," it will not accept "neighbour"). We hope to distinguish the two databases in the future.