The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Infused righteousness vs imputed righteousness Options
vipin viswanathan
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 3:49:26 AM

Neurons: 695
Does anybody who the difference of Infused righteousness versus Imputed righteousness?

Romany
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 6:00:43 AM

Neurons: 54,679

I would assume "infused" here to mean "innate" i.e. someone who is righteous because they are a naturally good person.

While "imputed" could be described as "having a reputation for" being righteous. Being described as righteous doesn't necessarily mean that one IS righteous. It may all be an act intended to fool people into thinking them good.

So I assumme that what they are discussing are people who really ARE righteous V people who SAY (or of whom others say) that they are righteous.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, May 14, 2020 10:37:44 AM

Neurons: 65,575
Just to add a bit, righteousness can be defined as being "right-wise", or wise in doing the right things.

If a person has a strong sense of justice, or right and wrong, and chooses right most of the time, then that would be an "infused" righteousness because it comes from within the person.

"Imputed" righteousness means simply to say, or declare that someone is righteous. It's what another person says about someone. It may be true, or it may not be true.
Epiphileon
Posted: Friday, May 15, 2020 8:51:03 AM

Neurons: 165,996
vipin viswanathan wrote:
Does anybody who the difference of Infused righteousness versus Imputed righteousness?

Hi Vipin, could you please supply some context?
vipin viswanathan
Posted: Thursday, May 21, 2020 6:56:17 AM

Neurons: 695
Epiphileon wrote:
vipin viswanathan wrote:

Hi Vipin, could you please supply some context?

Thomas Aquinas taught Infused righteousness and Martin Luther taught Imputed righteousness. It has been a debate between Catholic and protestants. I happened to read recently only. It is a little tough language for me.
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 7:44:07 AM

Neurons: 165,996
Good Morning Vipin, (well it is here and now)
First I would set aside the words infused and imputed as their usage by the two theologians would be considered archaic and modern definitions can be problematic. Since you posted this in the P&R forum I'm assuming you weren't really that concerned with the vocabulary.

I would say that it is far more than a debate between Catholics and Protestants, it is the core and foundational difference between these two Biblical religions and why each views the other as heretical. How a person is regarded as righteous is either the result of the things a person does in relation to God as is the Catholic belief i.e.
Wikipedia wrote:
The doctrine states that through keeping the commands of Christ, regular confession and penance, and receiving the sacraments, God's grace/righteousness is "infused" in believers more and more over time, and their own "righteousness in the flesh" becomes subsumed into God's righteousness.

or it is entirely a function of the faith in God that results in a person appealing to God for salvation.

Wikipedia wrote:
Luther asserted that Christians receive that righteousness entirely from outside themselves; that righteousness not only comes from Christ, it actually is the righteousness of Christ, and remains outside of us but is merely imputed to us (rather than infused into us) through faith.

Of the two positions, only Luther's can be entirely supported on the basis of Biblical text.

Hope123
Posted: Sunday, May 24, 2020 9:01:20 AM

Neurons: 52,433
Thank you Epi. Interesting info I had never heard before.