The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Gustav I of Sweden (1496?) Options
Daemon
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 12:00:00 AM

Neurons: 92,790
Gustav I of Sweden (1496?)

Considered the father of modern Sweden, Gustav I was king of Sweden and founder of the Vasa dynasty. A senator's son, he became a leader in the rebellion against the Danes, who controlled most of Sweden. In 1523—having won Sweden's independence—he was elected king. He was an autocratic ruler and built a strong monarchy and an efficient administration. Aside from his temper, he was known for his love of music and sly wit. How did being beaten with a baking implement supposedly save his life? More...
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 2:48:26 AM

Neurons: 4,199,423
Today's Birthday
?

Considered the father of modern Sweden, Gustav I was king of Sweden and founder of the Vasa dynasty. A senator's son, he became a leader in the rebellion against the Danes, who controlled most of Sweden. In 1523—having won Sweden's independence—he was elected king. He was an autocratic ruler and built a strong monarchy and an efficient administration. Aside from his temper, he was known for his love of music and sly wit.
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 2:48:27 AM

Today's Birthday
?

Considered the father of modern Sweden, Gustav I was king of Sweden and founder of the Vasa dynasty. A senator's son, he became a leader in the rebellion against the Danes, who controlled most of Sweden. In 1523—having won Sweden's independence—he was elected king. He was an autocratic ruler and built a strong monarchy and an efficient administration. Aside from his temper, he was known for his love of music and sly wit.
KSPavan
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 2:48:27 AM

Today's Birthday
?

Adyl Mouhei
Posted: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 6:20:00 AM

Neurons: 932,007
Gustav’s greatest achievement was the creation of a strong monarchy. He based his power on a massive agglomeration of crown and family lands, acquired for the most part by confiscation from the church, which put him beyond the rivalry of any other noble house. The supervision and exploitation of these lands was his personal concern, and with it went an infinite solicitude for the least detail of fiscal policy. In the 1540s, owing to a lack of trained Swedes, he imported German administrators. This was a brief episode, but their work had a lasting effect in Sweden. It enabled Gustav to maintain his personal supervision and to combine it with high efficiency.

https://www.britannica.com/biography/Gustav-I-Vasa