mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
a conjuring trick with bones Options
zhonglc2020
Posted: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 8:01:25 PM

Neurons: 2,595
Hello all,

The following is a passage about the Rt Rev David Jenkins.
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Jenkins_(bishop)

"I wouldn't put it past God to arrange a virgin birth if he wanted. But I don't think he did."[3] His widely quoted comment about the resurrection of Christ being "just a conjuring trick with bones", is a misrepresentation;[3][12] his actual words as recorded on television say the reverse; the resurrection is not a conjuring trick with bones. The original line appears to have been "[the Resurrection] is real. That's the point. All I said was 'literally physical'. I was very careful in the use of language. After all, a conjuring trick with bones proves only that somebody's very clever at a conjuring trick with bones."[13] According to his BBC obituary, he considered "the resurrection was not a single event, but a series of experiences that gradually convinced people that Jesus's life, power, purpose and personality were actually continuing."[4]
###

My dictionary tells me that "resurrection" means The rising again of the dead at the Last Judgment.
I was wondering if the definition of "resurrection" could apply here and what " a conjuring trick with bones" means.

Many many thanks.

FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 12:34:37 PM

Neurons: 74,672
zhonglc2020 wrote:
Hello all,

The following is a passage about the Rt Rev David Jenkins.
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Jenkins_(bishop)

"I wouldn't put it past God to arrange a virgin birth if he wanted. But I don't think he did."[3] His widely quoted comment about the resurrection of Christ being "just a conjuring trick with bones", is a misrepresentation;[3][12] his actual words as recorded on television say the reverse; the resurrection is not a conjuring trick with bones. The original line appears to have been "[the Resurrection] is real. That's the point. All I said was 'literally physical'. I was very careful in the use of language. After all, a conjuring trick with bones proves only that somebody's very clever at a conjuring trick with bones."[13] According to his BBC obituary, he considered "the resurrection was not a single event, but a series of experiences that gradually convinced people that Jesus's life, power, purpose and personality were actually continuing."[4]
###

My dictionary tells me that "resurrection" means The rising again of the dead at the Last Judgment.
I was wondering if the definition of "resurrection" could apply here and what " a conjuring trick with bones" means.

Many many thanks.

There is a difference between "resurrection" and "The Resurrection". The first word simply means rising from the dead, or coming back to life. The second one is the Christian belief that God will raise all the dead back to life at some point in time.

The "conjuring trick with bones" is meant to say that the idea of Jesus coming back to life was not a magic trick using bones. He believed Jesus really did come back to life, and he did not believe it was a trick using bones.

Many people have tried to explain how Jesus could appear to come back to life after he died, by saying he never really died, but a trick was used to make people believe he died.
zhonglc2020
Posted: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 7:28:20 PM

Neurons: 2,595
Got it. Thank you, FounDit.