mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest
An Interesting Topic Options
FounDit
Posted: Tuesday, March 3, 2020 3:39:35 PM

Neurons: 74,672
An interesting read. I'm not sure what to think about this yet.

http://nautil.us/issue/82/panpsychism/consciousness-isnt-self_centered
Epiphileon
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 11:00:27 AM

Neurons: 167,374
I haven't read the entire article yet. However I have yet to see any hypothetical case for panpsychism that offers any reasonable explanation for how individual consciousnesses become communicated to the individual entities that display consciousness.
FounDit
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 11:32:08 AM

Epiphileon wrote:
I haven't read the entire article yet. However I have yet to see any hypothetical case for panpsychism that offers any reasonable explanation for how individual consciousnesses become communicated to the individual entities that display consciousness.

Yes. I agree. It's an interesting idea, but seems a little too far-fetched to me. I would need a lot more evidence before I could accept the idea of panpsychism. It's just a little too "science fiction-y" to me.
TMe
Posted: Thursday, March 5, 2020 12:13:58 PM

Neurons: 5,674
I am Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Saturday, March 7, 2020 1:14:48 PM

Neurons: 238,054
It IS interesting.

One can compare it to traditional "Old Testament" religions, somewhat.
God imbued all of creation with his spirit . . . so in that respect, that God (Allah, Jehova Jahweh - whatever name we give it) IS the panpsyche.

Also Gaiaism - one spirit (feminine this time) embracing all - animate and inanimate alike - and which one can contact, and in which one can (with effort) immerse oneself and become aware of the whole.

Like TMe, I have a bit too much "I am" to consider that I am really just a minor manifestation of the whole psyche.
I know (subjectively - sorry, no evidence) that I'm me and I can have a distinct position in space if I want. And that this body is not fully "me" - I can observe the body, so it's something separate.
But I don't feel like I'm the whole universe.
FounDit
Posted: Friday, April 3, 2020 4:53:42 PM

Two more articles on the topic, and I've begun to wonder about panpsychism and consciousness. An interesting thought occurred while reading these:

Is is possible that consciousness exists on a developmental level like life itself? In other words, could it be that consciousness exists in varying degrees of development, and finds its highest expression in us?...Think

It was the thought that even primitive creatures such as worms can experience pain that brought the idea to the fore, such that even a rudimentary consciousness might exist.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/why-can-t-the-world-s-greatest-minds-solve-the-mystery-of-consciousness?utm_source=pocket-newtab

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-real-problem?utm_source=pocket-newtab