The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Add Your "Help for Planet" Story Options
Hope123
Posted: Saturday, August 3, 2019 3:05:56 PM

Neurons: 52,392
The residents in my condo building are very pleased that their building has finally been added to the composting initiative that has been available to single family dwellers for some time in their city and region. We had already done recycling since the inception of the building 18 years ago, and the city plan was in place years before that, as was the outlawing of garburators in kitchens.

I am amazed at what all can be included in the composting bin because of the new processing that allows even used tissues to be heated to high degrees so they can be composted, and how all the materials are separated now by machine. We can see already that we will have little actual garbage now between the recycling and composting. The soil will be used on regional gardens and so forth.

It had been projected that the city would need to spend $1B in 2012 for a new landfill if something was not done. With the initiatives of the city and region the need for that landfill has been put off till 2044!

Now all we have to do is to let manufacturers know that we need a medium sized compostable bag to fit the new twin stainless steel garbage/compostable can we bought yesterday. No more plastic garbage cans and gadgets or bags for us.

Every little bit helps the environment! Cuts down on plastic bags, creates soil, and adds jobs. And $1B deferment of costs for over 30 years is nothing to sneeze at.

Add your story here.
Sarrriesfan
Posted: Wednesday, February 19, 2020 4:12:25 PM

Neurons: 11,558
Hope123 wrote:
The residents in my condo building are very pleased that their building has finally been added to the composting initiative that has been available to single family dwellers for some time in their city and region. We had already done recycling since the inception of the building 18 years ago, and the city plan was in place years before that, as was the outlawing of garburators in kitchens.

I am amazed at what all can be included in the composting bin because of the new processing that allows even used tissues to be heated to high degrees so they can be composted, and how all the materials are separated now by machine. We can see already that we will have little actual garbage now between the recycling and composting. The soil will be used on regional gardens and so forth.

It had been projected that the city would need to spend $1B in 2012 for a new landfill if something was not done. With the initiatives of the city and region the need for that landfill has been put off till 2044!

Now all we have to do is to let manufacturers know that we need a medium sized compostable bag to fit the new twin stainless steel garbage/compostable can we bought yesterday. No more plastic garbage cans and gadgets or bags for us.

Every little bit helps the environment! Cuts down on plastic bags, creates soil, and adds jobs. And $1B deferment of costs for over 30 years is nothing to sneeze at.

Add your story here.

My brother is involved in the construction of Energy from Waste power plants in the UK, waste material is collected and put into a bio-digestion system one they are building near Cheshire will provide energy for 125,000 homes.