The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

"Impartial justice" Options
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 2:17:51 AM

Neurons: 1,323,879
McConnell sells what's left of his soul to little donny (and gets 2 bits). Apparently, he missed Michael Cohen's testimony.

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 10:56:11 AM

Neurons: 52,503
Canada does have a dog in the hunt re what happens in the US, but can also see from a more objective point of view from a distance. The link posted is to the editorial this morning in the Toronto Star and the photo is the editorial cartoon.

It is especially more objective than Fox News which is covering the impeachment in the senate of Donald J Trump but WITHOUT the audio of the prosecution's facts. Therefore their audience made up of Trump supporters does not hear the evidence accumulated against the president. I read an article this morning about Fox News being the main cause of polarity in the US in recent times.

But I digress.

This impeachment is not a trial when the accused is able to suppress evidence and witnesses and not honour subpoenas. It is a farce and a circus. It would be hilarious with senators being given gadgets to twirl to pass the time like fifth graders if it were not important to the world as well as Americans.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorials/2020/01/24/farce-sophistry-cynicism-a-tragic-act-on-capitol-hill.html

Farce, sophistry, cynicism: a tragic act on Capitol Hill

For farce, sophistry, cynicism – punctuated by occasional moments of virtuosity – it was tough to beat, even in the gas-lit, lie-strewn political landscape of contemporary America.
For openers, it was difficult to take seriously the sight of Republican senators signing with due solemnity oaths to act as impartial jurors in the case scant hours after assuring Fox News they intended nothing of the sort.
In fact, their stated approach to proceedings threw doubt on the assertion by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts that the assembly over which he presided was “the world’s greatest deliberative body.””

...The saving grace of Week One in the Trump impeachment was the work of Democrat Adam Schiff, his party’s lead manager of the case.

Over two days, before proceedings moved on to legal arguments, he delivered a masterful chronology of what he alleged unfolded in Trump’s dealings with Ukraine.

Schiff’s sense of historical moment was riveting, his rhetoric compelling as he summoned Republicans to their duty.

“Nothing could be more dangerous to a democracy than a commander-in-chief who believed that he could operate with impunity, free from accountability.

“Nothing, that is, except a Congress that is willing to let it be so.”

Which seems pretty much how things stand in the once shining city on a hill..

An Impeachment Circus

[image not available]

Hope123
Posted: Saturday, January 25, 2020 11:11:20 AM

A video was presented with Trump's own words to take Ambassador Yavonovich out, whatever he meant by that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/recording-of-trump-calling-for-yovanovitchs-ouster-appears-to-corroborate-parnass-account/2020/01/24/77326098-3ed3-11ea-baca-eb7ace0a3455_story.html

Get rid of her! Get her out tomorrow. I don’t care. Get her out tomorrow. Take her out. Okay? Do it,” Trump is heard saying, according to ABC News, which said it reviewed the tape.

FYI for any Americans on the Forum who are outraged that justice is being subverted by the US circus as the Republicans kill democracy. When a president has no accountability it is no longer a democracy. Sorry - if I make it any bigger it will be too big for the forum. But you can easily see the main one -Mitch McConnell.

Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 8:59:21 AM

Neurons: 86,015
'Justice', if I am not wrong, is always impartial.Think Think Think
Romany
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 9:09:21 AM

Neurons: 54,729

Unfortunately, you ARE slightly wrong, Ashwin: - "Justice" SHOULD always be impartial.

The point of the thread is that Justice (not just in America!) can no longer be depended upon to guarantee impartiality; thus the concept of Justice has been both changed and corrupted.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 11:05:14 AM

THE WORD 'SHOULD' QUALIFIES JUSTICE IN YOUR STATEMENT, ROMANY. 'IMPARTIAL' IS REDUNDANT.
The better word rather is injustice.
"Impartial justice' in 'injustice'.
Romany
Posted: Monday, January 27, 2020 1:08:27 PM

I'm not quite sure what you mean, Ashwin, by " 'Impartial justice' in 'injustice' "?

But it seems you think I was semantically wrong?

The statement " "Justice" SHOULD always be impartial." was an ironic statement - which is signaled by the quotation marks around the CONCEPT of justice. They could either mean: we have nothing that can rightfully be called Justice in the world any longer or - what we CALL justice is a sham,and doesn't deserve the name. The word "Justice isn't the title of a song or book, so there's no other reason to use them.

Irony, just like humour, is really difficult to detect in another language. So I won't go on describing what those few short words meant - because - like trying to explain a joke, it's boring and often just seemingly-daft!

So now you have heard my "translation" - can you tell me what the point was that you were making? (I must be running down, like a kid's toy - as I said, I'm not too sure.)
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Friday, January 31, 2020 12:25:16 AM

Merriam webster

Definition of justice
1a: the maintenance or administration of what is just especially by the impartial adjustment of conflicting claims or the assignment of merited rewards or punishments

So Romany, the word 'impartial' is included in the definition of justice. "impartial" is an attribute of justice. Isn't it?
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 1:37:47 AM

Romany
Posted: Saturday, February 1, 2020 7:17:41 PM

Thanks, Ashwin - now I understand.

Yes, you're right - impartiality IS implicit in the concept of justice - which we're all reminded of each time we see the representation of Justice as a blind person.

This concept of justice is one every culture understands. I was being ironic simply because every culture also knows that, right now, across the world, what is being called "Justice" is not just. Nor impartial.Nor blind.
Hope123
Posted: Sunday, February 2, 2020 9:00:29 AM

Good one Oscar. Exactly.
Ashwin Joshi
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2020 9:40:18 AM

Thanks, Romany.
Oscar D. Grouch
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2020 1:03:28 PM

Oscar D. Grouch