Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 3:37:27 AM

Neurons: 4,425
Hello!))

I was listening to the song "Couldn't be better" by Kelly Clarkson:

And there's a scrambled sun in the tangled sky
And the moon couldn't be any brighter
And as the slam big city goes rocketing by
Well, your head couldn't feel any lighter

And I wonder what the line in bold means)

Thank you in advance!
NKM
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 5:32:32 PM

Neurons: 315,308
So do I!
tautophile
Posted: Thursday, February 13, 2020 10:38:45 PM

Neurons: 13,866
It appears to mean that the slam big city--whatever that is--goes past like a rocket. That doesn't help much, does it? Not knowing who Kelly Clarkson is--never heard of him/her--or what the song is about--never heard it either--or anything else having to do with the lyric(s), all I can say is, it seems to be pretty meaningless, at least to me. But it might be an entertaining song to listen to.
Dan Lewis 2222
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 2:08:04 AM

Neurons: 28,424
Song lyrics are generally more poetry than prose, and with that distinction there can be lots of figurative speech, unusual syntax, and words that are intended to evoke emotion and sensation rather than provide a detailed or coherent narrative.

"Slam big city rocketing by" to me means traveling quickly through a big, busy, noisy city.

If I wanted to know more about what this song might mean I would listen to the whole song and study all the lyrics. It is from the movie "Ugly Dolls", so if you really like the song you'd want to see that movie too.You can read more about the song and movie in it's Wikipedia article.

I can certainly appreciate how it can be a little bewildering to learn what a song is about, because I listen to Brazilian music a lot and know very little Portuguese, but so often I will hear a song I like the sound of so much I just have to know what it is about. I can find the lyrics online and use Google Translate to see them in English, but that is usually just a starting point. I have to find out what some of the informal speech and figurative language means, and learn about some cultural references made, before I start to feel like I am getting an idea what the point of the song is.
cythuman
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 3:25:17 AM

Neurons: 100,277
Dan, I think you have summed it up brilliantly! Applause

Dan Lewis 2222 wrote:

Song lyrics are generally more poetry than prose, and with that distinction there can be lots of figurative speech, unusual syntax, and words that are intended to evoke emotion and sensation rather than provide a detailed or coherent narrative.

"Slam big city rocketing by" to me means traveling quickly through a big, busy, noisy city.

... I can certainly appreciate how it can be a little bewildering to learn what a song is about, because I listen to Brazilian music a lot and know very little Portuguese, but so often I will hear a song I like the sound of so much I just have to know what it is about. I can find the lyrics online and use Google Translate to see them in English, but that is usually just a starting point. I have to find out what some of the informal speech and figurative language means, and learn about some cultural references made, before I start to feel like I am getting an idea what the point of the song is.
AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 3:09:09 PM

Dan Lewis 2222, tautophile, thank you!!

Dan Lewis 2222, we are so much alike!)

The rest of the song is meaningful so that's why I thought it might mean something else that I am not aware of ..)
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Friday, February 14, 2020 3:40:56 PM

Neurons: 224,906
Hi Alyona!

I just looked at the whole set of lyrics - they're very good; I like it (I'll listen to it later . . .)

It looks like the writer was looking for a two-syllable word beginning with an "s" sound, meaning "huge/lively/vibrant" - and invented the phrase "slam-big".

So you have an alliterative effect repeated at odd times using "S/sh" sounds and "W" sounds - this adds to the rhyme/rhythm of the song to make it "harmonious":
Shake the sleep off, and kick into the morning drill
And there's a scrambled sun in the tangled sky
And as the slam big city goes rocketing by

Who's that person in the glass, staring back your way?
Sure it's you, but just take in that view and woah

Hit the street, got the world at your feet and woah
Things just couldn't be better
AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:41:34 AM

Drag0nspeaker, thank you!

I'm in love with this song!) I think I've had it on repeat for a week now)))

Speaking about this part of the song you mentioned,

I've failed to find any other meaning of "scrambled" except "scrambled eggs"... is it just a comparison?

and also... "hit the street", is it the same as "hit the streets" (to go out in search of something or for a specific purpose)?

Thank you very much again!
Drag0nspeaker
Posted: Tuesday, February 18, 2020 11:18:13 AM

Neurons: 224,906
Hi again. I've just come back online after a couple of days off.

These ARE song-lyrics, so they may not make perfect sense - and they may make different sense to me than they do to you or other people!

The image I get from "the scrambled sun in a tangled sky" is similar to the city rocketing by - it's busyness and action.
It's not a smooth, nice blue sky with a round yellow spot of a sun - it's more a Picasso sun & sky - it's alive:

I take "hit the street" the same way you do - you go out from your home/bed onto the street.
You come awake and alive.
Things couldn't get much better.
AlyonaSunlight
Posted: Friday, February 21, 2020 3:31:39 AM

Thank you very much, Drag0nspeaker!))

Such a beautiful and vivid explanation))