The Free Dictionary  
mailing list For webmasters
Welcome Guest Forum Search | Active Topics | Members

Capitalism Draws Fire, Despite Strong Global Economy Options
Hope123
Posted: Tuesday, January 21, 2020 11:59:27 AM

Neurons: 53,317
https://www.pressreader.com/canada/toronto-star/20200121/282256667455827 Authors are from the Wall Street Journal.

Article says income inequality, environment sustainability, corruption, and automation are all causing distrust in capitalism, even though the world economy is doing well. Another article I saw said it is supposed to be even better in 2020. Trust in institutions is crumbling (has crumbled I would say).

Not only is capitalism being questioned, but along with it so is democracy, according to this article. Eight issues are discussed in this opinion piece.

Does capitalism need to be curbed somewhat? Are world democracies in danger of losing democracy? If so, why?

Thoughts?
Epiphileon
Posted: Sunday, January 26, 2020 8:09:12 AM

Neurons: 166,376
High Hope! I haven't read this article yet but I think one of the best reviews of the strengths of capitalism, as well as the gross dangers of unrestrained capitalism, was the History channel series "The Men Who Built America".
It's available on Amazon Prime video at that link there is a seven day free trial and is only 8 episodes.
FounDit
Posted: Wednesday, January 29, 2020 11:00:30 PM

Neurons: 66,996
Epiphileon wrote:
High Hope! I haven't read this article yet but I think one of the best reviews of the strengths of capitalism, as well as the gross dangers of unrestrained capitalism, was the History channel series "The Men Who Built America".
It's available on Amazon Prime video at that link there is a seven day free trial and is only 8 episodes.

That was a very interesting series, and you are right. Humans will always take anything they create, or control, to the extreme if permitted - religion, politics, etc. It seems to just be our nature. If something is good and we think it can be improved, we will do so until it no longer is good. That is precisely why we have laws, rules, and regulations to curb that impulse. Even then, it doesn't always work and the limitations have to be restructured again. We have seen this with each new technological advancement because there are always people looking for ways around the restrictions.